Chicken Sausage and Gravy with Buttermilk Cheddar Waffles is an easy twist on classic Southern-style chicken and waffles! al fresco® All-Natural Chicken Dinner Sausages are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal!
This post is sponsored by al fresco® All-Natural Chicken Sausage. All opinions are mine alone. #Cookwithalfresco
It wasn’t long before all this uncertainty took place that my husband mentioned to me he was craving waffles for dinner. Now, waffles are mostly considered a breakfast or brunch item. However, chicken and waffles are on the dinner menus of some of the finest restaurants here in the South! Waffles are always a treat!
With so many people sticking close to home during these uncertain times, it’s a great opportunity to try new recipes like these savory, cheesy, peppery waffles paired with al fresco’s® Fully Cooked Dinner Sausage!
Chicken Sausage and Gravy with Buttermilk Cheddar Waffles is a super fun meal your family is going to love!
al fresco® Fully Cooked Dinner Sausages are:
- Made with chicken that is raised with no antibiotics EVER.
- Fully cooked which makes it time-saving and easy to heat on the stovetop, grill or microwave.
- Made with no artificial ingredients and is minimally processed.
- A healthier, staple ingredient you can always have on-hand.
- Long-lasting, affordable and a great source of protein.
- Perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
I used the Sweet Apple flavor because it works well with cheddar cheese. However, al fresco® has a large variety of all-natural and fully cooked flavors that would pair equally well with the buttermilk cheddar waffles like:
- Roasted Red Pepper and Asiago
- Sundried Tomato
- Spicy Jalapeno
- Sweet and Smoky BBQ
Check out the wide variety of flavors here! al fresco’s® Fully Cooked Dinner Sausage
Origin of Chicken and Waffles:
The classic combination of chicken and waffles has origins in a number of culinary traditions, including American soul food and Pennsylvania Dutch. The American soul food version uses fried chicken on waffles while the Pennsylvania Dutch version has stewed chicken covered in gravy. Different variations of this classic combination have been served in fine restaurants, taverns, jazz clubs, lunch counters and diners since the mid-1800s.
How to make Chicken Sausage and Gravy with Buttermilk Cheddar Waffles:
- Start with two packages al fresco’s® Fully Cooked Dinner Sausage such as Sweet Apple. Cut six of the sausages in half widthwise then lightly brown to heat through (remember, they’re already fully cooked!)
- Chop the other two links to use as a base for a creamy buttermilk sausage gravy.
- Make the gravy.
- Make the waffles. Chances are you probably already have much of this on hand!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and soda
- Salt and black pepper
- Cheddar cheese
No buttermilk? Here’s a great tip on how to make your own!
How to make buttermilk:
Making your own buttermilk is quick and easy! Simply combine 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white distilled vinegar. Let it stand 5-10 minutes. It won’t be as thick as regular buttermilk but will deliver the same result which is to add lightness, tenderness and a touch of tang to your batter. A couple of soft curds may form, but it won’t affect your batter.
- Cook the waffles per the manufacturer’s directions on your waffle iron…
- And pile them up for a delicious fun, family-friendly meal! Sprinkle with a little extra black pepper and enjoy!
For more information about al fresco® visit:
For more great recipes visit:
About al fresco® Fully Cooked Dinner Chicken Sausages visit:
Visit al fresco® on social media at:
- CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND GRAVY
- 2 packages (11-ounce each) al fresco's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage (or your favorite variety), divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- CHEDDAR WAFFLES
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups full-fat buttermilk
- ⅓ cup melted unsalted butter
- ¾ cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND GRAVY: Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut 6 of the sausages in half widthwise. Finely dice the remaining 2 links.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage halves, reduce heat to medium and brown on all sides. Transfer to a small baking sheet or oven-safe dish and place in the oven to keep warm. Keep the skillet on medium heat.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Add the diced sausage and scallion and cook until sausage is lightly browned and scallions are softened.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and cook 1-2 minutes, being careful not to brown it.
- Add the milk, stirring constantly, then add the buttermilk, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened. Keep warm.
- BUTTERMILK CHEDDAR WAFFLES: Preheat a waffle maker per the manufacturer's directions. Place a baking rack in a large rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl: Flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt and black pepper.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in another bowl: Buttermilk, butter, cheese and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Batter will be lumpy.
- Ladle approximately ⅓ cup of the waffle batter into each grate. Close the cover and cook until lightly golden and crispy, 3-4 minutes. (Don't worry if the waffles are not perfectly square.) Transfer to the preparing baking sheet and continue with the rest of the batter.
- TO SERVE: Place 2-3 waffles on each of 4 plates. Top with the sausage and pour the sauce over the sausage and waffles. Sprinkle with a little extra black pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 912Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 273mgSodium: 1678mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 38g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.