Chili Roasted Kale Sprouts with Lime Salt is a superfood turned into a super snack when roasted with Southwestern seasonings and lime salt!
These were tough to photograph because they were tough to leave alone! You want to keep stealing one here and there–especially when they’re hot and crispy–hoping their absence won’t be noticed in your photograph. Make these and they will be the hit of your Cinco de Mayo celebration!
You already know I love these little babies! Also known as Kalettes, they’re a cross between Red Russian kale and Brussels sprouts and just too darn cute! Believe it or not, kids especially love them and I do these a lot for clients!
How to make Chili Roasted Kale Sprouts with Lime Salt:
- To get this super snack rolling, make the lime salt first. Simply zest two large limes.
- When zesting limes, avoid the white “pith” as much as possible as it can impart a bitter taste to your dish. A good sharp zester such as a Microplane will get the job done quickly.
- Let the zest air dry for several hours on a paper towel, then combine with kosher or sea salt.
- Keep the lime salt in an uncovered dish on your counter and it will keep up to two weeks.
- To roast the sprouts, drizzle with olive oil and with your hands, gently massage the sprouts to distribute the oil evenly.
- Combine the chili powder and chipotle powder. Sprinkle half of it over the sprouts, then stir with a wooden spoon and sprinkle on the remaining spice.
- Roast for a half hour or so, stir halfway through and you’re in business! The leaves get crispy and the stems stay a little bit chewy. Salty, crunchy finger food with nutritional value that’s perfect with a good Mexican beer or margarita!
- Finish by sprinkling the lime salt over the kale sprouts (or anything else you wish to use it on).
More great kale sprout (Kalette) recipes:
- Kale Sprout, Spinach and Arugula Gratin with Cambozola
- Massaged Kale Sprout Caesar Salad
- Shredded Kale Sprout and Baby Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese
- Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Prosciutto, Kale Sprouts and Balsamic Drizzle
- Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- Zest of 2 large limes
- 2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 4 (6-ounce) bags kale sprouts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, hot or mild
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Spread the lime zest out on a paper towel and let dry for at least 4 hours.
- Combine dried zest and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread kale sprouts out on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale sprouts and massage lightly with your hands so that the kale sprouts are oiled as evenly as possible.
- Combine chili powder and chipotle powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle half the chili powder and chipotle combination over the kale sprouts as evenly as possible, toss with a wooden spoon then sprinkle the remainder as evenly as possible.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until crispy, stirring halfway through.
- Sprinkle lime salt to taste over the kale sprouts. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3297mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.