Posted by https://www.fromachefskitchen.com/southwestern-lentil-brown-rice-bake/
© 2015 From A Chef's Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake
2 hrs 20 mins
Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake is comfort food even a carnivore will love!
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4-ounce) diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon taco or other Southwestern seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Pepperjack or white Cheddar), divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all ingredients, except the cheese, in a deep 8 x 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and mix well. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 1/2 hours, stirring once while the mixture is baking.
Remove the foil, stir in half the cheese and place the remaining cheese over the top.
Return to oven (uncovered) and bake until cheese has melted, approximately 20 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.