Recipe reprinted with permission from Karen Tedesco and Page Street Publishing Co. distributed by Macmillan (Copyright 2020). I received a complimentary copy.
Spiced Roasted Carrots with Pistachios and Labneh will have you looking at the humble carrot in a new way! This elevated, sophisticated vegetable side dish is from a new cookbook I’m excited to share with you!
Before I get to this delicious recipe, here’s a cookbook you’re really going to love!
Karen Tedesco, the creator of the Saveur Magazine award-winning blog, Familystyle Food, has published her first cookbook: Family Style, Shared Plates for Casual Feasts (Page Street Publishing). (Affiliate link)
It’s especially timely with more people staying home and hopefully spending more time together as a family around the dinner table.
About Family Style:
Family Style is filled with 60 recipes that are designed to be brought to the table for all to share. There’s something for everyone with small bites, vibrant salads, soups, pasta, meaty mains, seafood, soups, vegetables and desserts for simple, sweet endings.
Beautifully photographed by Karen herself, all of the lovely recipes in the book take advantage of fresh, seasonal ingredients that don’t cost a lot. They’re meant to be served on platters or heaped into bowls and placed in the center of the table for a fun, lively mix-and-match meal!
Karen’s recipes are simple, straightforward and mouthwatering: How about:
- Skillet Gnocchi with Italian Sausage and Arrabiatta Sauce
- Beef Stew with Herbed Gruyere Dumplings
- Branzino with Fried Lemon
- Gochujang Steak and Scallion Salad
- 15-Minute Rosemary Pork Chops
- Farro and Burrata with Burst Tomatoes
- Garlicky Greens with Olive Oil
- Rich and Simple Dark Chocolate Cake
Best of all, you can customize the recipes to your own personal taste! Karen offers plenty of tips, tricks and suggestions for pairing the recipes together for family-style feasts!
Family Style is sure to become one of your “go-to” cookbooks! I’m really looking forward to cooking my way through the entire cookbook!
About the Author:
Karen Tedesco is a talented food photographer and experienced recipe developer and writer whose work I have long admired. Her recipes have been featured on Food Network, Fine Cooking, Better Homes and Gardens, Cooking Light and many others. She is also a former personal chef and food editor for the Village Voice in New York City.
Her food is inspired by the time spent around the Sunday dinner table growing up in an Italian-American family.
Now let’s talk about this inspired recipe from the cookbook!
What is labneh?
Labneh is soft, thick, tangy Middle Eastern yogurt “cheese.” It’s easy to make at home by straining Greek yogurt. You can also purchase it at specialty and international markets. If you can’t find it, or don’t want to go to the trouble, simply substitute full-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe.
How to make Spiced Roasted Carrots with Pistachios and Labneh:
This recipe is impressive yet crazy easy! Simply:
- Peel and cut the carrots into approximately 3-inch pieces.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and cumin seeds.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender and lightly browned in places.
- Toss with butter, paprika and lemon juice.
- Combine garlic and labneh (or full-fat Greek yogurt) and gently swirl it on a platter or shallow serving dish.
- Top with the carrots and add cilantro, pistachios, flaky sea salt and honey.
No more boring carrots! Get your copy of FAMILY STYLE, Shared Plates for Casual Feasts today!
More easy vegetable side dishes:
- Curry Roasted Carrots with Honey Browned Butter
- Roasted Hasselback Beets with Dill Dressing
- Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Sriracha Sweet Chili Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Braised Greens with Olives and Lemon
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces, thicker pieces halved if needed for uniform size
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¼ cup labneh or thick, plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- Small handful of chopped cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pistachios
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the carrots on a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, salt and cumin seeds. Spread the carrots out in an even layer and roast for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender and golden brown in places.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and add the butter, lemon juice and paprika. Stir to coat with the melting butter and spices.
- Stir the garlic into the labneh or yogurt. Transfer to a serving platter using the back of a spoon to swirl it around the platter.
- Arrange the carrots over the labneh (or yogurt), scraping all the pan juices over the platter.
- Scatter the cilantro over the carrots.
- Sprinkle the pistachios and flaky sea salt over the platter then drizzle the carrots with honey.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Karen Tedesco and Page Street Publishing Co. distributed by Macmillan (Copyright 2020)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 569mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 13gProtein: 7g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.