Spinach Feta Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce is hearty and protein-packed for a delicious, balanced meatless meal!
Are you looking to replace some of your meat-centric meals with more vegetarian options? If so, these light, fresh and flavorful Greek-inspired Spinach and Feta Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce will make you very happy.
Because I love vegetables and have yet to meet one that I don’t like, I’m happy with Meatless Any-Day-of-the-Week!
You probably already know that quinoa is a “superfood” because it’s a high-quality plant protein that also contains plenty of fiber, iron, potassium. An added benefit is it’s gluten-free. Spinach is another superfood that adds additional nutrition and eggs and cheese add additional protein.
I like to make these when I have leftover simply-cooked quinoa. If you don’t have leftover quinoa and don’t want to go to the trouble of making it for this recipe, you can find cooked quinoa near the vegetables in the freezer section at your local grocery store.
I don’t add breadcrumbs to help bind the quinoa cakes so they can fall apart if fried on the stovetop. Rather, I save myself the frustration and simply bake them on a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil sprayed with a small amount of cooking spray or lightly brushed with oil. The cakes can stick to conventional aluminum foil. Parchment paper makes them a bit soggy.
Once assembled and ready for the oven, they can cook alongside the cherry tomato “sauce” that accompanies them. (On a different pan of course…. but you already knew that.) Turn once while baking.
Serve with a simple soup on the side or with a salad of nutrient-rich baby greens such as kale or Swiss chard.
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Spinach Feta Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce (Affiliate Links):
- QUINOA CAKES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, 1 red, 1 yellow
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- QUINOA CAKES: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and spinach and cook 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add quinoa, lemon zest, feta cheese and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in eggs.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray.
- Form quinoa mixture into 8 even cakes. Place on prepared aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes. Turn and bake 10 more minutes.
- SAUCE: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper on a baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until softened and juices are released. Serve with quinoa cakes.
If cooking quinoa for this recipe, add 30 minutes to cook time.
MAKE AHEAD: The cakes can be made ahead and reheated in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY: Bake the cakes, cool and freeze. They can be reheated from frozen at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so.
Serving Size2 cakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 465Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 117mgSodium 605mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 7gSugar 15gProtein 13g