Mini Southern Tomato Pies are an elegant twist on the down-home and iconic Southern Tomato Pie. In mini form, they make a lovely summer appetizer!
Here’s an elegant riff on the classic Southern tomato pie you’re going to love! Mini Southern Tomato Pies! I’ve not made many pies in my lifetime but I have made tomato pies! It’s just what one does when they live in the South.
How to make Mini Southern Tomato Pies:
- Slice approximately four ripe, juicy plum tomatoes to get 32 slices.
- Salt, then place on paper towels to drain. The salt helps extract much of the water from the tomatoes (which you don’t want in your pie).
- Flip, then salt again and drain. After 30 minutes or so, blot dry with more paper towels.
- While the tomatoes are draining, get the pastry shells ready. Frozen puff pastry makes the perfect crust!
- Just roll it out on a lightly floured surface so you can get eight circles from each piece of puff pastry.
- Cut the circles out with a 3 to 3 ½-inch biscuit cutter. Or, do what I did–use a stainless steel measuring cup.
- Pop them into a nonstick muffin pan and just push them in enough to get a flat bottom.
- Then, start the filling process!
- Start with the cheese and mayonnaise combination. Mayonnaise is an essential ingredient in Southern tomato pie!
- Top with a tomato, a little more cheese, some basil….
- …And another tomato!
- The tomatoes are going to sit pretty high but trust me on this. The puff pastry is going to do its thing and puff up; the tomatoes will sink in.
- Then, bake.
- After approximately 30 minutes, remove from the oven.
- The tomatoes may shift a little bit, but no worries! Just push them back into place with a knife then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 5 more minutes and….
- …Voila! Beautiful, elegant Mini Southern Tomato Pies! Perfect for a backyard get-together or other summer special occasion!
- Serve immediately or at room temperature. Garnish with fresh basil!
Be sure to try my other tomato pie/tart recipes!
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 4 medium plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (17.3-ounce) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 ¼ cups grated Gruyere or white Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the tomatoes into approximately 8 slices each so you end up with 32 slices. Place the tomatoes on paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Flip onto dry paper towels and salt again. Let stand for another 15 minutes. Dry the top side of the tomatoes with paper towels for any remaining moisture.
- While tomatoes are draining, prepare the pastry. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a 3 to 3 ½-inch biscuit cutter or round stainless measuring cup, cut 8 circles from each sheet of pastry.
- Place the pastry circles into two nonstick muffin pans. (Don't worry about getting them tucked into the pans too securely. Just make sure they have a flat bottom so they stand level.)
- Cover with clean kitchen towels and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine ¾ cup Gruyere cheese and ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese in a bowl. Add mayonnaise and black pepper and stir well.
- Divide cheese and mayonnaise mixture evenly among the 16 pastry shells. Top each with a tomato slice.
- Using only about ¼ cup of the Gruyere, sprinkle each tomato slice with a small amount of cheese. Top with the chopped basil.
- Place the second tomato half over the cheese and basil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ¼ cup Gruyere cheese and ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese.
- Remove from the oven and adjust the tomato slices as necessary so they're back up on top of each other. Top with remaining cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.