Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon hits all the flavor notes for a tasty and healthful fall dinner! Perfect for when you need some soup goodness!
Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon hits all the notes for a healthful and flavorful meal that's perfect for an early fall dinner or for when you just need some soup goodness! We have an abundance of butternut squash from our garden, so stay tuned for more butternut squash recipes.
How to inspect lentils for debris:
One thing you always want to do when working with lentils is to look them over well for stones, twigs and odd-looking shriveled ones because those can be stone-like.
What I do is:
- Place a small amount–about ¼ cup–on a plain white paper plate. A white surface makes debris easier to find.
- Look them over for any odd things and discard.
- Then, gently fold the plate to guide them into your pot or into a bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining lentils.
How to make Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon:
It's super simple!
- Start with some diced bacon. Cook it until it's crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Then add veggies, veggies and more veggies! Start with onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Oh my! Add broth, the lentils, canned tomatoes, butternut squash, kale, herbs and let it all just simmer!
- Finish the Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon with a splash of red wine vinegar and fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve with some amazing whole grain bread and this soup is good for whatever ails ya!
Want more great, hearty soup goodness? Be sure to try:
- Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Andouille, Ham and Bacon
- Creamy Potato, Kielbasa and Kale Soup
- Italian Sausage Soup
- Roasted Poblano, Corn and Potato Chowder with Bacon and Gouda Cheese
- Chorizo, Kale and Sweet Potato Stew
- Ethiopian Red Lentil and Vegetable Stew
Spicy Kale Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon
- 6 slices bacon - diced
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 2 medium carrots - chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 8 cups chicken broth - or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes - undrained
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - or more if you like it really spicy
- 1 small butternut squash - peeled and cubed into ½-inch cubes (2-3 cups)
- 1 bunch kale - stems removed, sliced (3 cups)
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Place bacon in a Dutch oven. Heat to medium-high and cook, 6-7 minutes or until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered. Transfer back to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Add onion to the bacon fat. Cook the onion over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the celery and carrots. Cook 8-10 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook briefly until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add the bacon back in, the lentils, bay leaves, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Bring back to a boil.
- Add butternut squash. Reduce heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add kale. Continue cooking another 5-10 minutes or until kale is wilted and lentils and squash are tender.
- Add red wine vinegar, parsley and salt and black pepper to taste.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.