Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon hits all the flavor notes for a tasty and healthful fall dinner! Perfect for when you need some soup goodness!
So, my hubby and I had a wonderful trip to Europe, however, we both got sick while there. When you’re on a tour with a bunch of people in a coach, if someone gets sick, chances are everyone else is going to get sick too.
We recovered enough to where it wasn’t terribly difficult to fly.
We were just so happy to get home that a little ear discomfort didn’t bother us. Then, a couple of days later..
Wham. We’re both ridiculously sick again.
Not sure where it came from again but we both have European hell colds. So, this is going to be a relatively short post for this spicy kale soup so I can lay back down.
I mustered enough energy together this afternoon to make this Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon because when you’re sick, soup is the only thing in life you want and that matters.
Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon hits all the notes for a healthful and flavorful meal that’s perfect for an early fall dinner or for when you just need some soup goodness! We have an abundance of butternut squash from our garden, so stay tuned for more butternut squash recipes.
How to make Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon:
It’s super simple!
- Start with some diced bacon. Cook it until it’s crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Then add veggies, veggies and more veggies! Start with onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Oh my! Add broth, the lentils, canned tomatoes, butternut squash, kale, herbs and let it all just simmer!
- Finish the Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon with a splash of red wine vinegar and fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve with some amazing whole grain bread and this soup is good for whatever ails ya!
Off to lay down….
Want more great, hearty soup goodness? Be sure to try:
- Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Andouille, Ham and Bacon
- Creamy Potato, Kielbasa and Kale Soup
- Spicy Italian Sausage, Whole Grain Penne and Vegetable Soup
- Roasted Poblano, Corn and Potato Chowder with Bacon and Gouda Cheese
- Chorizo, Kale and Sweet Potato Stew
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon (Affiliate Links):
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like it really spicy)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch cubes (2-3 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, sliced (3 cups)
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place bacon in a Dutch oven. Heat to medium-high and cook, 6-7 minutes or until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered. Transfer back to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Add onion to the bacon fat. Cook the onion over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the celery and carrots. Cook 8-10 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook briefly until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add the bacon back in, the lentils, bay leaves, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Bring back to a boil.
- Add butternut squash. Reduce heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add kale. Continue cooking another 5-10 minutes or until kale is wilted and lentils and squash are tender.
- Add red wine vinegar, parsley and salt and black pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving Calories 406Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 135mgSodium 474mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 5gSugar 3gProtein 39g