Fire up the grill! Grilled Burgers with Bacon Tomato Jam and Smoked Gouda is a treat everyone will love!
Love grilled burgers with bacon? Summer isn’t summer without grilled burgers! Bacon Tomato Jam is the way to make a burger special!
Personally, I’d like to thank whoever it was who had the idea to make bacon jam for the first time. The flavor is amazing and packs a real flavor punch!
Best of all, it’s super easy to make!
How to Make Bacon – Tomato Jam:
- Dice and cook 1 pound bacon and 4 ounces pancetta until it’s crispy.
- Saute an onion with a pinch of salt until it’s soft and golden brown.
- Add diced tomato and garlic.
- Add the bacon and pancetta back in, some water, dark brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and let that simmer uncovered until it’s delicious syrupy bacony goodness!
How easy was that?
This recipe makes approximately two cups which is more than you’ll need for the grilled burgers. The jam will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Use as a topping for baked brie
- Include on a charcuterie or cheese board
- Add it to a grilled cheese sandwich
- On top of waffles
- With cheese in a stuffed chicken breast
Bacon Tomato Jam is so versatile!
- Then grill the burgers.
- Add tomato, onion, Gouda cheese, lettuce and the jam!
- Serve with this delicious eggplant fries recipe!
More burger recipes you’ll love!
- Chicken Zucchini Feta Burgers with Jalapeno Tzatziki
- Lentil Walnut Veggie Burgers with Avocado Tzatziki Sauce
Grilled Burgers with Bacon Tomato Jam and Smoked Gouda
Bacon Tomato Jam
- 1 pound bacon - cut into small ½-inch pieces
- 4 ounces pancetta - diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- Pinch salt
- 3 large plum tomatoes - seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch cayenne pepper - or to tolerance
- 1 pound ground chuck - or sirloin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- Tomato slices
- Red onion slices
Bacon Tomato Jam
- In a cast iron skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until crispy and fat is rendered off. Drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Add pancetta to skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to plate with bacon.
- Add butter to drippings then add onion with a pinch of salt. Cook onion for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened and golden. Add the diced tomatoes and garlic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or just until tomato is softened and garlic is fragrant.
- Return bacon and pancetta to skillet. Add the water, dark brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until syrupy and jam-like. Add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper.
- Form the beef into four even patties.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Season burgers with salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Place burgers on grill.
- Grill 3 to 4 minutes on the first side. Flip and grill another 2 to 3 minutes or to desired doneness. (Ground beef is safe when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees and no longer pink.) Top with Gouda cheese slices during the last minute or two of grilling.
- Spread butter on the inside of the buns. Place on grill and cook 1 minute or until lightly toasted and grill-marked.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with lettuce, tomato slices, onion slices and bacon jam.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.