Curried Tofu Salad will change your mind about tofu! It’s the perfect flavorful, protein-packed alternative to egg salad. Curried Tofu Salad is perfect to pile onto whole-grain bread for a delicious sandwich or stuffed into a tomato or avocado for something a little more elegant.
Wondering what to pack for lunch this week? Throw out that tired, old ham, tuna or baloney sandwich in favor of this Curried Tofu Salad!
This eggless, protein-packed Curried Tofu Salad is perfect to pile onto a healthful whole-grain bread or stuff into a hollowed-out tomato or avocado. It looks like egg salad and has the same texture, but it’s a lot less work! Best of all, no eggs to boil and peel!
When I am cooking for clients, I always take a cold lunch. I don’t want to have to heat anything at their house and this Curried Tofu Salad is one of my favorite lunches!
Tofu tends to suffer from an image problem because, by itself, it’s rather bland. I think that’s a plus! It’s a plus because tofu picks up the flavor of what it’s put in and with.
How to drain tofu for Curried Tofu Salad:
Tofu is generally packed in water so you’ll need to get as much of that water out as possible. You can invest in a tofu press or simply use a baking sheet. Here are some tips:
- Remove it from the water-packed container.
- Cut into slabs and place on several layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Place more paper towels or another clean kitchen towel over the tofu, then place a baking sheet on top.
- Weigh it down with something heavy such as a cast-iron skillet or books. This will gently squeeze excess water from the tofu. After about 30 minutes, you’re good to go!
- If you’d like it drier, place it on fresh, dry paper towels or another clean kitchen towel and repeat.
I add red onion and celery for extra flavor and crunch. Fresh herbs such as chives and parsley add even more flavor! See? Tofu is beginning to sound pretty tasty, don’t you think?
If you’re not a curry fan, simply leave it out and just go with the mayonnaise, mustard and vegetables and herbs. Enjoy!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Curried Tofu Salad (Affiliate Links):
- 2 blocks (14-ounce) firm or extra-firm tofu, well-drained and patted dry
- 1 cup mayonnaise (regular, low-fat or vegan)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated (optional)
- White wine vinegar, to taste
- Cut tofu into slabs.
- Place on a thick layer of paper towels or clean kitchen towel. Place another layer of paper towels over tofu. Place a baking sheet over the towels and weigh it down with a heavy skillet or books. Let drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Put tofu into a medium-sized bowl. Using your hands, crumble until the texture resembles mashed eggs. Alternately, coarsely chop.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, curry powder, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir in celery, red onion and carrot until blended. Add a splash of white wine vinegar to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 745mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.