Wondering what to pack for lunch this week? Throw out that tired, old ham or baloney sandwich in favor of this Curried Tofu Salad!
This eggless, protein-packed curried tofu salad is perfect to pile onto a healthful whole-grain bread or stuff into a hollowed-out tomato or avocado. It looks like egg salad and has the same texture, but it’s a lot less work! No eggs to boil and peel!
Tofu tends to suffer from an image problem because by itself, it’s rather bland. I think that’s a plus! It’s a plus because tofu picks up the flavor of what it’s put in and with.
Tofu is generally packed in water. Drain it, then cut into slabs and place on several layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place more paper towels or another kitchen towel over the tofu, then place a baking sheet on top. Weigh it down with something heavy such as a cast-iron skillet or books. This will gently squeeze excess water from the tofu. After about a half hour, you’re good to go!
I like to add red onion and celery for extra flavor and crunch. Fresh herbs such as chives and parsley add even more flavor! See? Tofu is beginning to sound pretty tasty, don’t you think?
If you’re not a curry fan, simply leave it out and just go with the mayonnaise, mustard and vegetables and herbs.
- 2 blocks (14-ounce) firm or extra-firm tofu, well drained and patted dry
- 1 cup mayonnaise (regular, low-fat or vegan)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated (optional)
- White wine vinegar, to taste
- Cut tofu into slabs. Place on a thick layer of paper towels or clean kitchen towel. Place another layer of paper towels over tofu. Place a baking sheet over the towels and weigh it down with a heavy skillet or books. Let drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Put tofu into medium bowl. Using your hands, crumble until texture resembles mashed eggs. Add mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, curry powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in celery, red onion and carrot until blended. Add a splash of white wine vinegar to taste.