Tofu Black Bean Tacos are easy, delicious, packed with protein and a healthful way to enjoy tacos. Even a diehard carnivore won't miss the meat!
Even a diehard carnivore won't miss the meat with these delicious, hearty Tofu and Black Bean Tacos that are full of plant-based protein!
I think tofu gets a bad rap. Yes, it's bland on its own. No one sits down to a meal of plain tofu and says...."Woohoo! Plain tofu!" Just like a plain baked chicken breast or plain baked piece of fish isn't going to excite anyone either.
However, the fact that tofu is so plain, makes it a blank culinary canvas. It's also a very inexpensive protein and who can't love that?
How to prepare and drain tofu:
There's just a little bit of prep work involved with tofu as it's packed in water and it needs to be drained and pressed.
- Slice the tofu block into "planks."
- Place on a thick layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel placed on a cutting board or large baking sheet.
- Place another layer of paper towels or another clean kitchen towel over the tofu
- Set another baking sheet on top.
- Put a heavy object such as a big cookbook on the baking sheet and let sit for about an hour.
- Or, simply use a tofu press!
After prepping the tofu, these come together very quickly. Serve with all your favorite taco "fixins:"
- Scallion or onion
And of course, these can be made vegan by using a plant-based "cheese." Enjoy!
More tofu recipes you're going to love!
- Curried Tofu Salad
- Sesame Tofu with Spinach and Rice Noodles in Ginger Broth
- Asian Vegetable Soup with Tofu, Kimchi and Rice Noodles
- Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw
Tofu Black Bean Tacos
- 1 block (14-ounce) extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon salt - or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil - divided
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles - undrained
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans - drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 8-10 to tortillas - corn or flour, warmed
- Shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped green bell pepper, sour cream, lime wedges, chopped scallion, avocado wedges, cilantro - shredded lettuce, chopped green bell pepper, sour cream, lime wedges, chopped scallion, avocado wedges, cilantro
- Cut tofu into six "slabs" lengthwise. Lay tofu out on several layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place several more layers of paper towels or another kitchen towel over the tofu. Top with a baking sheet and place something heavy such as several cookbooks on the baking sheet. Let drain 1 hour. Cut tofu into cubes.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, chipotle powder, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Season tofu cubes with half of the spice combination.
- Heat half the canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and sear well on all sides. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the remaining spice combination, garlic and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in black beans and tofu and heat through. Stir in cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in tortillas with all your favorite taco "fixins!"
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.