Tofu and Black Bean Tacos are easy, delicious, packed with protein and a healthful way to enjoy tacos. Even a diehard carnivore won’t miss the meat!
I am aware I’ve been on a vegetarian kick lately. It’s hard not to be on one when summer has so many fresh veggies to offer! With the weather being so crazy hot here in the South, light meals are where it’s at! I’m getting to more meat-based postings for fall and winter; I can’t wait for “braising season!”
For now, may I tell you about my delicious Tofu and Black Bean Tacos? Even a diehard carnivore won’t miss the meat!
I think tofu gets a bad rap. Yes, it’s bland on its own. No one sits down to a meal of plain tofu and says….”Woohoo! Plain tofu!” Just like a plain baked chicken breast or plain baked piece of fish isn’t going to excite anyone either.
However, the fact that tofu is so plain, makes it a blank culinary canvas. It’s also a very inexpensive protein and who can’t love that?
How to prepare tofu:
There’s just a little bit of prep work involved with tofu as it’s packed in water and it needs to be drained and pressed.
- Slice the tofu block into “planks.”
- Place on a thick layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel placed on a cutting board or large baking sheet.
- Place another layer of paper towels or another clean kitchen towel over the tofu
- Set another baking sheet on top.
- Put a heavy object such as a big cookbook on the baking sheet and let sit for about an hour.
- Or, simply use a tofu press!
Here’s a great video tofu tutorial at MyRecipes.com. That tutorial shows you how to press the entire block. However, as I stated above, I slice the tofu into planks first. This way, you can extract as much water as possible from the tofu so that it sears well.
After prepping the tofu, these Tofu and Black Bean Tacos come together very quickly. Serve with all your favorite taco “fixins.” And of course, these can be made vegan by using a plant-based “cheese.” Enjoy!
Here are more tofu recipes you’re going to love!
- Curried Tofu Salad
- Sesame Tofu with Spinach and Rice Noodles in Ginger Broth
- Asian Vegetable Soup with Tofu, Kimchi and Rice Noodles
- Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Tofu and Black Bean Tacos (Affiliate Links):
- 1 block (14-ounce) extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8-10 tortillas (corn or flour), warmed
- Shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped green bell pepper, sour cream, lime wedges, chopped scallion, avocado wedges, cilantro
- Cut tofu into six "slabs" lengthwise. Lay tofu out on several layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place several more layers of paper towels or another kitchen towel over the tofu. Top with a baking sheet and place something heavy such as several cookbooks on the baking sheet. Let drain 1 hour. Cut tofu into cubes.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, chipotle powder, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Season tofu cubes with half of the spice combination.
- Heat half the canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and sear well on all sides. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the remaining spice combination, garlic and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in black beans and tofu and heat through. Stir in cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in tortillas with all your favorite taco "fixins!"
Amount Per Serving Calories 787Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 9mgSodium 1439mgCarbohydrates 98gFiber 16gSugar 4gProtein 31g