Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw are the fun, flavorful and healthful way to get your Korean food fix!
I’m a huge fan of Korean food. I can eat a jar of kimchi in one sitting!
Korean food is still catching on in this country and I predict it will continue to grow in popularity. If you’re new to Korean food, the main characteristic of a classic Korean meal is the abundance of side dishes and condiments that are served (such as kimchi).
This recipe, Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw, has all those wonderful characteristics in a lettuce wrap.
In my not-so-humble opinion, tofu gets a bad rap. First of all, it’s an inexpensive source of protein. Second, tofu is a culinary blank canvas because it takes on the flavor of whatever it’s cooked with. To me it’s not any different than a plain piece of chicken or a plain piece of fish–it’s all in how you season and flavor it.
How to make Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw:
- First, drain the tofu. Because tofu is packed in water, it’s important to drain it well first.
- To do that, blot it dry, then cut it into thick “slabs.”
- Place it on several layers of paper towels, then place another layer of paper towels over it.
- Set a baking sheet on it then place a heavy object such as a thick cookbook or pan on the baking sheet. Let the tofu sit for an hour or so. Be careful not to place too much weight on the tofu because you can crush it.
- After an hour or so, simply cut into cubes for this recipe or any shape that works for what you’re making.
- While the tofu is draining, make the spicy slaw. For the slaw, I used a purchased “broccoli slaw” combination and added a little shredded cabbage to it.
- Mix up the Tahini Gochujang Sauce. I hope you fall in love with the Tahini Gochujang Sauce as much as I have! Gochujang is a sweet, spicy, fermented chili paste that’s used a lot in Korean food and it’s gaining in popularity. I’ve heard it referred to as “the new Sriracha!” It pairs perfectly with tahini and you’re going to want to start using this combination on everything!
- When you have the slaw and the sauce made, brown the tofu with some of the sauce for flavor and color. Mwaaaahhhh!
Serve with lime wedges, peanuts, brown rice and garnish with sesame seeds. Tofu made terrific! It’s so colorful and healthful! You may even turn a tofu hater into a tofu lover!
If you’re really not into tofu, chicken would be a great substitute!
Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw! Enjoy!
More Korean-inspired recipes:
For more delicious Asian-inspired vegan recipes, be sure to try my:
- Thai Sesame Noodles with Tofu and Vegetables
- Vegan Thai Red Curry
- Indian Root Vegetable Curry
- Cauliflower, Red Lentil and Potato Curry
Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw
- 1 package (14-ounce) firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (10-ounce) broccoli slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage - approximately ¼ of a small head
- 1 bunch scallions - white and light green part only, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 jalapeno pepper - or serrano pepper, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce - or tamari
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 6 tablespoons gochujang
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari - or tamari
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Boston lettuce leaves
- Hot cooked brown rice - or brown rice noodles
- Peanuts - optional
- Lime wedges
- Black sesame seeds
- Drain tofu and cut into six large "planks." Place on paper towels. Top with more paper towels then place a sheet pan over the tofu. Place a heavy object such as a large cookbook or heavy bowl on the sheet pan to drain and squeeze as much water out of the tofu as possible. After 1 hour, cut tofu into cubes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet or saute pan over medium high heat. Add the cubed tofu and 2 tablespoons of the tahini gochujang sauce. Stir, then toss the tofu around to brown it.
- Combine broccoli slaw, cabbage, scallions and pepper in a bowl. Whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, oils, sugar, ginger and garlic. Pour over slaw ingredients. Add sesame seeds and toss.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in small bowl.
- Place lettuce leaves on a platter. Top with brown rice, tofu, the slaw, some of the sauce and peanuts (if desired). Serve with lime wedges and garnish with sesame seeds.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.