Cheesy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is pure classic comfort food made in one pan for an easy dinner that’s sure to become a family favorite!
This post is sponsored by Perdue Farms. All opinions are mine alone.
Hey, all! I’m super excited to share something very special I think you’re going to love along with a great recipe for Cheesy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie!
Chances are you’ve heard of Perdue chicken because they’ve been around since 1920! That’s right, they’re celebrating 100 years this year!
However, Perdue is more than just chicken. Over the last ten years, Perdue Farms has transitioned from conventional chicken and turkey production to becoming the #1 supplier in the United States for organic chicken.
In addition to chicken, Perdue Farms has become a leader in premium beef, pork and lamb that is:
- Heritage breed
- Antibiotic-free (no antibiotics EVER)
- Certified humane
- Adheres to GAP standards
The company carries a full line of premium protein products and brands including:
- Niman Ranch
- Coleman Natural
- Perdue Chicken
- Perdue Harvestland
- Panorama Meats
- Spot Farms
- Full Moon
- And more!
Perdue Farms is quickly becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins. For 100 years, they’ve worked directly with small family farmers to raise animals with care and are passionate about farming, land preservation and healthy and nutritious food.
Because I grew up on a farm myself, all of this is very important to me!
Best of all, these premium proteins can be delivered directly to your door!
Because Perdue Farms is committed to being thoughtful stewards of the environment, they’ve taken the following steps to lessen their carbon footprint and protect and preserve our precious earth’s ecosystem when shipping their products:
- For every bundle shipped, they make a donation to the Arbor Day Foundation. The Arbor Day Foundation is working to replant damaged areas of our nation’s forests.
- The boxes are designed with sustainability in mind. Each cardboard box is 100% recyclable and insulated with Green Cell Foam® which is biodegradable, compostable and made from high-grade non-GMO cornstarch that dissolves in water. And friends, it’s crazy how well-insulated and totally frozen the box was when I received it!
- With each purchase, you receive a reusable and recyclable grocery bag to use to avoid using paper or plastic.
- Because bees and butterflies help to make one out of every three bites of food we take, a pollinator seed packet is included in every box so that you can plant a robust pollinator habitat near your home.
Learn more about the progress they’ve made in the areas of food, the environment, raising animals with care, people, community and their partners at Perdue Farms Responsibility.
The products shown above are what’s in the Medium Gatherings Bundle.
- Perdue Harvestland Organic Whole (With Giblets)
- Perdue Harvestland Organic Boneless Skinless Breast
- Perdue Harvestland Organic Drumsticks
- Perdue Simply Smart Organics Lightly Breaded Chicken Chunks
PLUS A FREE ITEM INCLUDED IN YOUR FIRST ORDER!
- Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts (USED IN THIS RECIPE)
Let’s get down to making this Cheesy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie!
How to make Cheesy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie:
- Start with two packages Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts. You can also use one pound of Perdue Harvestland Organic Boneless Skinless Breast, although you’ll need to dice it first.
- Heat butter and oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts and brown well on all sides until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Refresh the butter and oil and cook onions until softened.
- Add potatoes and saute several minutes.
- Add a touch more butter, flour and chicken broth.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet along with a purchased thawed frozen vegetable combination.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add a touch of cream then some grated Cheddar cheese and stir well to melt the cheese.
- Take it off the heat.
- Top with purchased refrigerated pastry. Brush with an egg wash….
- Bake… And friends!!
You’ve got an amazing bubbling, hearty, homestyle Cheesy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie that’s perfect for a casual gathering with friends or a wonderful meal your family is sure to love!
All made super easy with Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts (which you can get in your first order!
Serve this classic country-style dish with:
- Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Braised Collard Greens
- Visit the new Perdue Farms direct-to-consumer website recently launched for more information! Place an order for the Medium Gatherings Bundle and receive a FREE box of Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts with your first order! You’ll also receive 10% off your first order with promo code Farmer10.
- Check out Perdue Farms on social media at:
- Visit their brand accounts on all the social media channels at:
- Facebook – @ColemanNaturalFoods @NimanRanch @PerdueChicken
- Instagram – @ColemanNatural @NimanRanch @PerdueChicken
- Twitter – @ColemanNatural @NimanRanch @PerdueChicken
- Pinterest – @ColemanNatural @NimanRanch @PerdueChicken
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) packages (1/2 the box) Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts --OR-- 1 pound Perdue Harvestland Organic Boneless Skinless Breast, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7-8 ounces cubed red or Yukon Gold potatoes (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15-ounce) chicken broth
- 1 bag (12-ounce) mixed vegetables, thawed under cold running water and drained
- 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (9-inch) purchased refrigerated pie crust, kept very cold
- 1 large egg mixed with water for an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch cast-iron (or other ovenproof) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and place in the preheated skillet.
- Cook, stirring often until the chicken is nicely browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, 4-5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the cubed potato and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour and allow to melt.
- Sprinkle the flour over the potatoes and onions and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth. Bring it to a simmer. Cook 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the mixed vegetables and cream. Heat through.
- Add shredded Cheddar cheese by the handful, stirring until cheese is melted. (Sauce will continue to thicken with the addition of the cheese.)
- Stir in dry mustard and parsley.
- Remove from heat.
- Place pie crust over the top. Crimp the edges as desired.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden and pie is visibly bubbling.
MAKE AHEAD: To make ahead use a stainless or enameled cast iron skillet or transfer to an oven-safe baking dish. DO NOT USE REGULAR CAST IRON TO STORE THE POT PIE. Let cool and refrigerate. Allow extra baking time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1063Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 895mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 55g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.