Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Mustard Vinaigrette takes humble cabbage to a whole new delicious level!
If you’re a regular reader, you know I LOVE to take ordinary vegetables–especially homely and under-appreciated ones–to another level! Cabbage is one of those vegetables!
What’s not to love about cabbage? Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Mustard Vinaigrette will make you fall in love with cabbage!
First, it’s inexpensive and one head will go a long way. Cabbage, along with a potato or two, helped sustain my grandparents and parents when times were tough.
It’s versatile! The large leaves can be filled with meat and rice to make a substantial dinner. It’s perfect in soups and no summer is complete without a good, tangy coleslaw.
It’s healthful! Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable, meaning it has tons of antioxidants and it’s low in carbs which it perfect in any diet. Get more information about the health benefits of cabbage here.
I’ve loved vegetables my entire life. However, growing up, my mother pretty much only boiled them. Some salt, some butter and that was pretty much it.
Then later, I discovered roasted vegetables and thought I died and went to heaven. Roasted cabbage, roasted cauliflower, roasted radishes, roasted green beans! After discovering the amazing taste of roasted vegetables, this method pretty much became my ONLY way to prepare vegetables.
For this cabbage recipe, you could cut the head of cabbage into wedges. However, calling something a “steak” just makes it sound more hearty and substantial. No matter what you call it, this dish is delicious!
Flipping the cabbage “steaks” to achieve even caramelization on both sides is a bit tricky. Use a large spatula and flip them quickly. If they fall apart, simply push the leaves of the “steaks” back together
The tangy, mustardy vinaigrette comes together quickly as the cabbage steaks roast.
Drizzle the vinaigrette over the roasted cabbage “steaks” and serve! So easy and guaranteed to turn a cabbage skeptic into a cabbage lover!
Cabbage lovers! Be sure to try some of my other cabbage recipes!
- Duck Fat Roasted Cabbage Sprouts
- Parmesan Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- Russian Cabbage Soup (Shchi)
- Farmhouse Cabbage Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kielbasa
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Mustard Vinaigrette (Affiliate Links):
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice cabbage into four or five thick "steaks." Drizzle with half the olive oil, season to taste with salt and black pepper and place on a nonstick baking sheet or one that is line with nonstick aluminum foil. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, whisk together remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, coarse-grain mustard, Dijon mustard, honey, water, garlic and salt and black pepper, to taste.
- To serve, drizzle over cabbage steaks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 147Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 220mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 1g