Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean Guacamole and Salsa Fresca are perfect for a fun dinner or festive addition to your Cinco de Mayo party! They’re piled high with guacamole, marinated grilled chicken, fresh salsa, lettuce and queso fresco cheese. I’ve also got a great tip to bump up the flavor of out-of-season tomato salsa!
Hey, all! Today I’m sharing a recipe for chicken tostadas that’s been a client favorite for years! It’s adapted from an easy yet highly-rated Epicurious.com recipe that’s been around since 1994.
Because I began making it for clients, I upped the freshness factor with my own guacamole recipe, fresh salsa instead of purchased and marinated grilled chicken.
First of all…
What is a tostada?
Tostada is a Spanish word that means “toasted” and usually refers to a flat or bowl-shaped tortilla that is deep-fried or toasted. While you can do the tortillas in the oven, frying is the traditional way. You can purchase prepared tostada shells, but I always make them myself from leftover corn tortillas.
How to make Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean Guacamole and Salsa Fresca:
- First, fry the tortillas. Heat about 1/2-inch canola or vegetable oil in a saucepan or skillet, heat to shimmering and drop them in. I find tongs can easily tear them so I use a pancake turner instead. Be careful to flip the tortilla away from you to prevent getting splashed with hot oil.
- Then, let them drain on a rack.
- Make the fresh salsa. Start with plum (Roma) tomatoes. When tomatoes are not in season, plum tomatoes are the best bet. However, even they can be a bit bland off-season.
- To kick up the flavor, add a well-drained can of petite diced tomatoes. Now, you may be thinking…. But then it’s not 100% fresh salsa. Trust me on this! It’s going to TASTE super fresh–like a salsa made with backyard summer tomatoes!
- Then, make the guacamole. I like to do it in a food processor then transfer it to a bowl and stir in the black beans.
- After grilling the chicken, your tostadas are ready to roll!
- Smear on some black bean guacamole, top with thinly sliced or shredded chicken, salsa, lettuce, cheese and any other topping you desire! Some clients add sour cream or ranch dressing.
And yes, tostadas are messy but that’s part of the fun!
Check out my other fun and festive tostada recipes!
- Salmon and Black Bean Tostadas with Cilantro Lime Slaw and Chipotle Crema
- Chicken Sausage Fajita-Style Tostadas
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. This month’s theme is a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta, and our host is Jane who blogs at The Heritage Cook
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats it’s a virtual party. A theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out. Come along and see all of the delicious fiesta-inspired dishes!
Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- Stovetop Spicy Sweet Pepitas – Mother Would Know
- Orejas Mexican Pan Dulce – Creative Culinary
- Instant Pot Barbacoa Tacos – The Heritage Cook
- Pork Pozole Verde – Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean Guacamole and Salsa Fresca – From a Chef’s Kitchen (You’re here!)
- Mexican Red Rice (Arroz Rojo) – Beyond Mere Sustenance
- Mexican Chocolate Pots de Creme – Sara’s Cucina Bella
- Mini Margarita Cheesecakes – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- SALSA FRESCA
- 6 plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeded, cored and diced
- 1 can ( 14.5-ounce) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- BLACK BEAN GUACAMOLE
- 2 large avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 2 large limes)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- TO FINISH:
- 6 tostada shells (purchased or homemade)
- Thinly sliced Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup crumbled Queso Fresco cheese
- Cilantro sprigs
- Jalapeno slices
- Lime wedges
- CHICKEN: Combine chicken next 7 ingredients in a zipper-top bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. When ready to cook, preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through to 165 degrees in the center. Let rest 3-4 minutes then cut in half horizontally and thinly slice.
- SALSA FRESCA: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir together and set aside.
- GUACAMOLE: Combine the flesh from the avocados, lime juice, scallions, garlic and cilantro in a food processor. Pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the black beans.
- TO FINISH: Smear the Black Bean Guacamole over the tostada shells. Top with chicken, salsa, lettuce, cheese and serve with cilantro sprigs, jalapeno slices and lime wedges.