Chilled Cantaloupe Soup is super easy, creamy and so refreshing! Serve it as a starter for an elegant lunch, light summer supper or as a healthful late afternoon “pick-me-up!”
The inspiration behind this recipe:
I’ve been neglecting myself lately and I’m feeling the effects. After attending two food blogging conferences earlier this year and then making our summer trip up to Wisconsin (hello bratwurst, fish fries, cheese curds and too many strawberry desserts), my clothes have gotten a little tight.
I probably won’t start a full-fledged diet, but I am trying to make some healthy changes. Rather, I’m hoping less chocolate, less wine, getting more exercise every day and adding something healthful like this Chilled Cantaloupe Soup will help!
I love cold soups in the summer. Chilled Cantaloupe Soup is healthful, light, versatile and perfect on a hot summer day! Greek yogurt adds a creamy texture in addition to adding protein, making it perfect for a refreshing late afternoon “pick-me-up.” It’s also elegant enough to serve as a starter for a summer luncheon or light dinner.
Tips for picking a perfect melon:
Because you can’t see inside, picking a ripe, juicy melon can be challenging. Here are some tips:
- Inspect the melon for any defects such as soft spots, cracks, bruises or moldy patches.
- Check the color. A ripe melon will have a dull cast.
- Choose a melon that is heavy for its size.
- Tap the melon and listen for a hollow sound.
- Give it the smell test. Does the stem end have a fresh melon aroma?
Always wash cantaloupe or any melon well before cutting into it. Keep in mind that melon was on the ground–somewhere–and could potentially have something dangerous on it. When you cut into it, you transfer what is on the outside to the inside.
This cantaloupe soup is so easy! Place everything in a large bowl and process until smooth with an immersion blender, mashing and stirring as you go. You could also do it in batches in a food processor or blender.
Enjoy and I’m off to get my daily walk in!
Check out my other cold soups you’re sure to love!
- Very Veggie Gazpacho
- Cold Thai Cucumber Avocado Soup with Cucumber Relish
- Mango Gazpacho with Crab and Jalapeno Relish
Chilled Cantaloupe Soup
- 1 extra large cantaloupe - (orange melon)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey - or to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt - to taste
- Orange wedges - for serving
- Basil or mint sprigs - for serving
- Cut the melon in half and remove all the seeds and fibers. Slice into 8 slices and peel.
- Cut into ½-inch cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add the orange juice, yogurt, honey and white wine vinegar. Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender in batches until smooth.
- Adjust sweetness with honey and add a pinch of salt to taste. Serve garnish with orange slices and basil or mint sprigs.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.