Four Cheese Strata with Zucchini and Tomatoes, with Mozzarella, Cheddar, Parmesan and blue cheese, is a breakfast and brunch game-changer!
Meet my new favorite breakfast and brunch dish–Four Cheese Strata with Zucchini and Tomatoes!
So, a couple of weeks ago, I had about all I could take and I could NOT wait another day for a new cookbook fix.
I’ve been really good for months. However, after our flood, all the home repairs that ensued then discovering that a piece of my camera equipment had been stolen in the process and all the expenses that followed, I was ready for a cookbook bender.
Costco and Barnes and Noble…. here I come!
Paging through one of the cookbooks I picked up at Costco–Better Homes and Gardens 13 x 9, The Pan That Can–I came across a four-cheese strata recipe with zucchini.
Four cheeses! Oh my! Mozzarella, white Cheddar, Parmesan and blue cheese! Be still my beating heart!
If you’re not familiar with stratas, they’re a layered dish of bread, cheese, and meat or vegetables over which a mixture of eggs and milk is poured. It’s then refrigerated for several hours or overnight so that the bread can soak up the egg and milk mixture. After sitting a spell, it’s baked. This makes it the perfect make-ahead dish for breakfast or brunch!
They’re super-easy! You’ll need to drain the tomatoes first on some paper towels. Just slice, salt them, then place on paper towels. After about 15 minutes, flip them and drain again. There’s a lot of water in tomatoes, so this step is important.
While the tomatoes are draining, saute the zucchini a little bit, season it, then let it cool.
Then, start the layering process starting with naan or another type of flatbread. Tear it into pieces. You don’t need to cover the bottom of the dish entirely as the bread will expand.
When you’ve done two layers of bread, zucchini, tomatoes and cheese, pour on the milk and egg combination! Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours and up to 24 hours.
This dish also reheats well. If you have anything left over, cut into squares and refrigerate. Then place in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Voila!
Hope you enjoy! I know your guests will! Such a nice change from the typical breakfast casserole and perfect for late summer!
For more great breakfast and brunch recipes, be sure to check out my:
- Easy Hash Brown Frittata with Pesto and Goat Cheese
- Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard
- Spaghetti Squash, Poblano and Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Four Cheese Strata with Zucchini and Tomatoes (Affiliate Links):
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, sliced
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini, halved, sliced into 1/4-inch slices (or a combination of zucchini and yellow squash)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (8.8-ounce) package naan, regular or whole-grain, torn into pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cups grated white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- Snipped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle plum tomatoes on both sides with salt. Place on paper towels to drain. Flip onto a dry section of the paper towels and drain another 15 minutes. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly softened and lightly browned. Toss with Italian seasoning and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place half of the naan pieces in the prepared baking dish. Top with half the zucchini, half the tomatoes, half the scallions and half of the cheeses. Repeat layers one more time.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Pour over the layers, cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes or until set. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares, garnish with snipped parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 202mgSodium: 608mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 20g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.