Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard is a breakfast your whole family will love and it’s impressive enough for guests!
Hope everyone is enjoying their spring! I know some people not so much! It’s really been a little wild and whacky in some parts of the country. My family in Wisconsin just got a foot of snow and are expecting even more! My mother-in-law has been here since the end of March and although it’s been very busy, she’s pretty grateful to be here and not dealing with snow!
While she’s here, I’ve been trying to get creative with breakfasts for her. This Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard hits all the notes and she loved it! When mama-in-law is happy, everyone’s happy!
I can’t take full credit for this, however. Last week I was grocery shopping and a beautiful magazine called Southern Cast Iron caught my eye. The cover price is a whopping $12.99 but it’s only published six times per year and the overall look and feel of the magazine is very luxurious. It’s also rare that I want to make EVERY recipe in a magazine! This one’s a keeper and it’s not one you just rip a few recipes out of and throw in the recycle bin.
However, if that price is too steep, do check out their website. It’s full of great recipes! And who doesn’t love cooking in a cast iron skillet?
This version is inspired by one in the latest issue of Southern Cast Iron. I changed it up, however. The original recipe calls for collard greens but I used Swiss Chard instead. You can use any greens you’d like such as kale, spinach or the collards.
The original recipe called for diced smoked sausage but I already had cooked Italian sausage in the freezer so used it. This recipe is very versatile so just get creative!
After cooking the filling ingredients, the rest takes a little bit of thought, but overall it’s not difficult. The dough is simply storebought pizza dough which makes the rest super simple!
You can layer the ingredients or combine them like I did. Place the filling within two inches of the top and bottom then make diagonal cuts that are approximately 1 1/2 inches wide. Brush the dough with an egg wash. Bring the bottom up (the end closest to you), then bring the strips up and over until you get to the end.
Brush the strudel with the egg wash and bake!
Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard is a golden, delicious hot breakfast!
Perfect for guests and so perfect for Mother’s Day, too! The kids will love braiding the dough!
Want another great cast iron skillet meal? Try my Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili with Pepperjack Biscuit Topping!
For more great breakfast and brunch items, check out my:
- Easy Hash Brown Frittata with Pesto and Goat Cheese
- Muffin Pan Stratas with Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Four-Cheese Strata with Zucchini and Tomatoes
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard (Affiliate Links):
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (hot or mild), crumbled
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or white cheddar cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle an extra-large cast iron skillet or pizza pan with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Brown the Italian sausage in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat, stirring often until browned and cooked through. Add the scallions and cook 1 more minute or until softened. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the Swiss chard. Cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Add the garlic, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Transfer to the plate with the sausage.
- Heat butter in the skillet you've been using over medium-heat. Whisk eggs and half-and-half together. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour into the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often or until just cooked through. Be careful not to overcook as they will cook again in the strudel. Let cool.
- Combine greens, sausage, eggs and cheese in a bowl.
- Roll pizza dough into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Place into prepared cast iron pan or pizza pan. Place egg, greens and sausage mixture down the middle, leaving a 2-inch border on the top and bottom.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1 1/2-inch diagonal strips on both sides of filling. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bring bottom of dough (side closest to you) up and over filling. "Braid" strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating left and right. Tuck top and bottom pieces under to form a neat closure. Brush strudel with remaining egg wash.
- Bake until browned and heated through, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.
MAKE AHEAD: Cook sausage, greens and eggs. Cool and refrigerate. When ready to bake, proceed with dough.
Amount Per Serving Calories 412 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 197mg Sodium 433mg Carbohydrates 18g Fiber 2g Sugar 2g Protein 21g