Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard is a breakfast your whole family will love and it’s impressive enough for guests!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
My mother-in-law has been here since the end of March and I’ve been trying to get creative with breakfasts for her. This Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard hits all the notes and she loved it! When mama-in-law is happy, everyone’s happy!
While grocery shopping last week, a beautiful magazine called Southern Cast Iron caught my eye. The cover price is a whopping $12.99 but it’s only published six times per year and the overall look and feel of the magazine is very luxurious. It’s also rare that I want to make EVERY recipe in a magazine! This one’s a keeper and not one you rip a few recipes out of and throw in the recycle bin.
If that price is too steep, do check out their website. It’s full of great recipes! This version is inspired by one in the latest issue of Southern Cast Iron.
How to make Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard:
- Start by cooking the greens. The original recipe calls for collard greens but I used Swiss Chard instead. You can use any greens you’d like such as kale, spinach or collards.
- Cook the eggs and the sausage. The original recipe called for diced smoked sausage but I already had cooked Italian sausage in the freezer so used it instead. This recipe is very versatile!
- After cooking the filling ingredients, the rest takes a little bit of thought, but overall it’s not difficult. The dough is simply store-bought pizza dough which makes the rest super simple!
- Layer the ingredients or combine them as I did.
- Place the filling within two inches of the top and bottom.
- Make diagonal cuts that are approximately 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Brush the dough with an egg wash.
- Bring the bottom up (the end closest to you), then bring the strips up and over until you get to the end.
- Brush the folded strudel with the egg wash and bake!
Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard is a golden, delicious hot breakfast!
Perfect for guests and so perfect for Mother’s Day, too! The kids will love braiding the dough!
For more great breakfast and brunch items, check out my:
- Easy Hash Brown Frittata with Pesto and Goat Cheese
- Muffin Pan Stratas with Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Four-Cheese Strata with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Hash Brown Frittatas with Kale, Bacon and Cheddar
- Breakfast Strata with Asparagus, Artichokes, Ham and Gruyere
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (hot or mild), crumbled
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or white cheddar cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle an extra-large cast iron skillet or pizza pan with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Brown the Italian sausage in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat, stirring often until browned and cooked through. Add the scallions and cook 1 more minute or until softened. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the Swiss chard. Cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Add the garlic, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Transfer to the plate with the sausage.
- Heat butter in the skillet you've been using over medium-heat. Whisk eggs and half-and-half together. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour into the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often or until just cooked through. Be careful not to overcook as they will cook again in the strudel. Let cool.
- Combine greens, sausage, eggs and cheese in a bowl.
- Roll pizza dough into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Place into prepared cast iron pan or pizza pan. Place egg, greens and sausage mixture down the middle, leaving a 2-inch border on the top and bottom.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1 1/2-inch diagonal strips on both sides of filling. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bring bottom of dough (side closest to you) up and over filling. "Braid" strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating left and right. Tuck top and bottom pieces under to form a neat closure. Brush strudel with remaining egg wash.
- Bake until browned and heated through, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.
MAKE AHEAD: Cook sausage, greens and eggs. Cool and refrigerate. When ready to bake, proceed with dough.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.