Potato Leek Soup with White Cheddar is a simple, cheesy, creamy comforting soup everyone will love!
Potato and leeks together in a soup is a classic combination that never disappoints. This version has white cheddar added for another level of loveliness!
How to make Potato Leek Soup with White Cheddar:
- Start with the leeks. Leeks can be very muddy, so after halving and slicing the leeks, immerse them in a bowl of water.
- Swish the leeks around so any dirt that is trapped in the layers falls to the bottom of the bowl.
- Then scoop the leeks out with your hands or a slotted spoon, leaving any debris behind.
- Gather up the rest of the ingredients:
- Russet potatoes that you’ll want to peel and cube. I don’t do this too far ahead of time because they can discolor unless you keep them immersed in water. There’s no problem if you do that, just keep in mind they will discolor if not covered with water.
- Olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Chicken broth (not a sponsored post but when I use purchased chicken broth, I opt for this brand)
- Heavy cream
- Shredded white cheddar cheese
- Cook the leeks until they’re melty soft in the butter and oil. Stir them often and be careful to not brown or burn the edges.
- Add the garlic and cook briefly.
- Add the peeled and cubed potatoes, chopped fresh thyme and chicken broth.
- Simmer until the potatoes are very tender.
- Add the cream and cheese.
- Puree using an immersion blender until the soup is silky smooth! If you don’t have an immersion blender, grab one below in the affiliate links! You’ll be glad you did! They’re great for many things including smoothing out lumpy gravy or sauce.
- Garnish with fresh chives and crispy bacon if desired!
Total creamy, cheesy comfort in a bowl!
More creamy soups you’re sure to love!
- Spinach Goat Cheese Bisque with Crispy Lemon Chickpeas
- Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
- Creamy White Bean, Rutabaga and Roasted Garlic Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Bisque
- Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup
- Cream of Green Vegetable Soup
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green part only, halved and thinly sliced (approximately 3 cups), thoroughly washed
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 large Russett potatoes (approximately 3 pounds), peeled and cubed (7-8 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Diced cooked bacon, for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven or other soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the leeks, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often or until the leeks are very soft. Be careful to not brown them or burn the edges.
- Add the garlic and cook briefly, 10-15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth and chopped fresh thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook partially covered for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream and cheese and continue stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender (be careful with hot liquids).
- Add a pinch or two of cayenne and season to taste with salt and black pepper as desired.
- Serve, garnished with bacon and chopped fresh chives.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 712Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1416mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.