Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup makes the perfect starter for an elegant spring dinner party. With a delicate onion flavor, it’s a tasty way to use up those celery leaves and tops!
Welcome to another entry in the Waste Not feature!
As I mentioned in previous Waste Not posts, after watching the late Anthony Bourdain’s movie Wasted on a plane ride back from Europe last year, my eyes were opened as to how much food we waste as a nation. Frankly, it made me pretty uncomfortable.
I decided to look at vegetable trimmings, clippings and remnants in new ways and began this new feature called Waste Not, intended to deal with food waste in a non-preachy but creative way.
With Memorial Day and other summer holidays fast approaching, there’s going to be a lot of potato salad being made. Many of those potato salad recipes call for celery. There’s also a hot new juicing trend that’s all about celery.
However, what if you just made a ton of spud salad and now you have celery leaves and tops galore but you’re not into juicing?
What can you do with celery leaves and tops?
Fresh celery leaves can be used like any herb. Therefore, you can:
- Use them in stock.
- Make a celery leaf pesto.
- Add them to salads.
- Use them in place of parsley either in the recipe or as a garnish.
- Use to flavor soups and stews.
- Add them to a green smoothie.
- Make Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup!
How to store celery:
Celery generally does not take center stage in recipes but rather more of a kitchen workhorse that adds flavor and crunch to the dishes it’s in. Because of that, you generally only use one or two of the ribs.
To store celery so that it lasts up to a month, wrap it in aluminum foil. Do not store it in a plastic bag or plastic wrap. You’ll be amazed a vegetable can last so long in your refrigerator!
How to make Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup:
- Look for celery at the market that has leafy tops.
- Collect the leaves and tender tops from the celery stalk. (You might need two heads of celery).
- Chop the celery tops along with scallions and saute in a Dutch oven until all is nice and tender.
- Add a big, peeled and cubed Russet potato, some garlic, chicken or vegetable broth and simmer uncovered until everything is nice and tender and “soupy.”
- Add a little cream….
- …and you have a beautiful soup perfect for any spring occasion!
- Garnish with fresh celery leaves!
Beautiful, beautiful! Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup looks and tastes like spring!
For more lovely, creamy soups, be sure to try my:
- Spinach Goat Cheese Bisque with Crispy Lemon Chickpeas
- Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
- Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup
- Creamy White Bean, Rutabaga and Roasted Garlic Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio
- Cream of Asparagus and Leek Soup with Curry
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Gouda Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Puree
- Cream of Brussels Sprouts Soup
You’ll need these helpful tools and equipment to make Cream of Green Vegetable Soup (Affiliate Links):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 bunches scallions
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery leaves, tender tops and hearts (from about 2 large heads)
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled and cubed (approximately 2 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or other soup pot.
- Add the scallions, garlic and celery leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are becoming tender.
- Add the potato and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes or until potato and other vegetables are very tender.
- Remove from heat and add the cream.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 351 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 58mg Sodium 1134mg Carbohydrates 25g Fiber 4g Sugar 5g Protein 7g