Slow Cooker Chipotle Split Pea Soup with Ham is the easiest soup ever! Perfect for when you need something hearty but want something spicy and healthy, too!
Am I the only one who craves split pea soup? I told a few people I was craving split pea soup lately and they looked at me like I was crazy. It was one of my favorite things my mother used to make and I’ve been itching to get my slow cooker out.
I think of my mom a lot this time of year because my parent’s wedding anniversary just went by and it’s also the time of year she became ill, suffered terribly for two months and then passed away.
So, no doubt the craving had some nostalgia and remembrance behind it.
Split pea soup made the traditional way uses a hambone to add flavor. Except, hambones are hard to come by unless you’ve recently consumed a ham.
Instead, I used packaged diced ham and got the “smoke factor” with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Now, this is some split pea soup and my husband may even eat it!
How to make Slow Cooker Chipotle Split Pea Soup with Ham:
- Start with a bag of split green peas.
- It’s always a good idea to look dried peas and lentils over carefully for things like tiny twigs or even stones. Place on a white or light surface and look through them.
- I like to preheat my slow cooker if possible. Pour in chicken broth and let it preheat while chopping the vegetables.
- Then combine everything in the slow cooker:
- Diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours.
That’s it! Delicious, spicy and smoky Slow Cooker Chipotle Split Pea Soup with Ham! When your friends or family taste this soup, they may not look at you strangely anymore because they’ll end up craving split pea soup, too! THIS split pea soup!
Add a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and garnish with a few parsley sprigs if desired.
Now dig in! If you just can’t do split green peas, try lentils instead!
Be sure to try some of my other hearty, healthy bean, pea and lentil soups:
- Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Andouille, Ham and Bacon
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup with Ham
- Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale Sprouts
- Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 bag (1-pound) green split peas, looked over for tiny twigs and stones
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped, plus as much adobo sauce as you can get from the can
- 1 package (8-ounce) diced ham
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Plain yogurt or sour cream
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, stirring once.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 1180mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.