Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup delivers delicious Thai-inspired comfort and warmth in a hurry in a light yet satisfying soup!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
After being off for the holidays, I couldn’t seem to get back into my cooking groove.
Some days it flows, and some days not so much…. But hot diggity, I turned out some great food this week for my clients!
You know it as well as I do–after a full day, dinner needs to have minimal steps. My Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup is perfect when you’ve had a long day and need some comfort and warmth in a hurry. This soup has complex Thai-inspired flavor but comes together quickly with red curry paste.
Best red curry paste to use:
I no longer bother making my own red curry paste after discovering the Maesri line of curry pastes at a local international market. These pastes have plenty of punch, are made from real ingredients and flavorwise, beat grocery store brands hands down. Their Thai green curry paste is also fabulous!
Red lentils cook much faster than brown or green and at about the same rate as the sweet potatoes. It’s a good idea to look lentils over for stones, sticks and odd-looking bits. Keeps teeth intact!
This soup freezes great so make a double batch and freeze in small portions for delicious Thai comfort all winter long!
Enjoy and let’s eat!
Thank you, hope you enjoy and please share this From A Chef’s Kitchen reader favorite!
More great vegetarian and vegan soups you’ll love!
- Italian Vegetable Stew
- Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup
- Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale
- Spinach Goat Cheese Bisque with Crispy Lemon Chickpeas
- Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup
- Russian Cabbage Soup (Shchi)
- Green Minestrone with Radish Greens Pesto
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (or to taste)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 can (15-ounce) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, picked over
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) coconut milk, light or regular
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish if desired
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy pot such as a Dutch oven.
- Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and red curry paste, give it a quick stir, then add the broth, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, cover slightly and simmer until potatoes and lentils are tender about 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in cilantro.
MAKE AHEAD: Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cool thoroughly. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave for individual servings.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY: Cool thoroughly and package as desired. Freeze up to 2 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 630mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 41g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.