Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale is both hearty and healthful! It’s the perfect late-winter-into-early-spring soup that’s sure to take the chill off but not weigh you down!
Spring is springing here in the South and in some ways, I’m ready for it and in some ways, I’m not. Daffodils, crocuses and flowering crab trees are starting to do their thing!
Best of all, it’s only 20 days to Daylight Savings Time!
Longer days, more light, birds–beautiful birds–flowers, budding green trees…. oh my.
Time to get more soups in like this Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale.
This Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale is so perfect this time of year! Loaded with vegetables, fire-roasted tomatoes and cannellini beans. The beans make it a little hearty but in anticipation of putting on less bulky clothes in the not-too-distant future, this soup is 100% healthy!
How to make Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale:
- This tasty soup starts with tons of vegetables like onions, carrots, celery, red bell pepper and zucchini.
- Saute them up, add chicken broth or vegetable broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, cannellini beans, spices like Spanish smoked paprika and you’re onto something….
- …You’re onto something hearty, yet simply delicious!
- Add a few handfuls of baby kale, some manchego cheese at the very end…
And friends, what more do you need?
A beautiful, tasty, hearty yet healthy soup that’s perfect for getting you through the last chilly days of winter!
More soup inspiration!
- Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage Soup with Kielbasa
- Slow Cooker Cajun 15-Bean Soup with Andouille, Ham and Bacon
- White Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup
- Farmhouse Cabbage Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kielbasa
- Ethiopian Red Lentil and Vegetable Stew
Check out my full soup and stew selection here! Soups and Stews
Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 large carrots - chopped
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper - finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini - halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 6 cups chicken broth - or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28-ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes - undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans (15-ounce each) cannellini beans - or Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1 container (5-ounce) baby kale
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar - optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Manchego cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or other heavy soup pot. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the carrots and celery and continue cooking 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Chicken or vegetable broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaves and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the baby kale by the handful.
- Add sherry vinegar and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls topped with freshly grated Manchego cheese.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.