Cannellini Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup is rustic yet elegant, light, healthful, easy and perfect for an early fall day!
I get excited about small things. For example, finally being able to make a pot of soup! Hot soup! Hot STEAMING soup! The first real blast of cold air was coming through the following day so I wanted to be ready.
It didn’t matter to me that on the day I made this soup it was still ridiculously hot and the air conditioning was running. But by golly, real fall weather was finally going to make an appearance and a pot of soup was calling my name!
That’s when this rustic yet elegant Cannellini Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup was born.
I love being able to pull a beautiful, rustic bowl of soup together from things I already have on hand. I started out making this soup with orzo pasta in mind, but remembered I had a bag of frozen white cannellini beans in my freezer from accidentally (okay, stupidly) opening not one, but two cans of white beans when I really intended to open a can of black beans.
Anyway, my double bean goof was the perfect amount for this simple, rustic Cannellini Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup.
Onions, carrots and celery form the foundation many dishes are built on so I always have them on hand. Wrap celery in aluminum foil and it will last for weeks in your refrigerator.
The best chicken broth is the broth you make yourself. However, good canned or aseptic-packaged chicken broth works in a pinch so don’t be ashamed to use it. Just be sure it’s made from real ingredients, organic if possible and low-sodium. (You can always add salt.) Simmering fresh ingredients like onions, carrots and celery in the purchased broth will help boost the flavor.
Keep a variety of canned tomatoes on hand, frozen artichokes in the freezer and baby greens. Baby “power” greens to be exact.
I’m in love with the wide variety of baby “power” salad green combinations available now. These mixes are usually made up of spinach, Swiss chard and kale. If they don’t become a salad before they expire, I can saute them with garlic, salt and pepper for a quick side dish or….
I can use them in Cannellini Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup is rustic yet elegant, light, healthful, easy and perfect for an early fall day! Cannellini Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup is rustic yet elegant, light, healthful, easy and perfect for an early fall day!
Soup love! Pass the Parmesan cheese and crusty bread, please!
I’ve got lots more amazing soup recipes! Check out this link for all of them!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Cannellini Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup (Affiliate Links):
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth (or as needed)
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15-ounce) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 box (10-ounce) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 2 (5-ounce) containers baby "power" greens
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in beans, artichokes hearts, baby greens and salt and black pepper, to taste. Simmer gently until heated through and greens are wilted.
- Add parsley if using and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 638 Total Fat 31g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 170mg Sodium 669mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 10g Sugar 4g Protein 55g