Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili with Pepper Jack Biscuit Topping is a one-dish meal your family will be excited to dig into!
Winner, winner, skillet dinner! Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili with Pepper Jack Biscuit Topping to be exact!
I don’t bring my cast iron skillet out too often, but when I do, it’s an occasion! They are so amazing to cook with.
I recall my mother using a cast iron skillet when I was very young. It sat at the back of the stove with bacon grease or lard in it. When my mother was cooking and required some cooking fat, she took a good spoonful and away she went!
Hello! Cast iron skillet cooking is BACK and it’s back like crazy! Except it’s back with a healthier twist! Thanks, Mom, but I’ll pass on the lard!
How to make Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili with Pepper Jack Biscuit Topping:
- Brown ground turkey. Turkey is extremely lean even if using dark meat for this Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili, so you may not even have to drain it.
- Add simple ingredients you may already have on hand like canned fire-roasted tomatoes, canned pinto beans and spices.
I know, but then that biscuit topping for people who aren’t into baking, right? I can raise my hand to that! The biscuit topping is also super easy! Would this non-baker lead you astray?
- Just mix the dry ingredients together, add the butter and combine to the consistency of a coarse meal. Add the cheese and buttermilk and work it until it holds together.
- A 1/4-cup measuring cup works perfectly to portion out the biscuits. You can do them right on the hot, simmering chili but remember, I’m baking challenged so I prefer to portion them out first.
- After portioning them out, just pop them onto the chili and place in the oven.
The biscuits bake right on top of the chili!
Mama! You’re not going to believe this, but this Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili with Pepper Jack Biscuit Topping actually reheats well. The biscuits are not going to be like flaky biscuits, however. They actually end up a little chewy and dumpling-like. Delicious!
Here’s another great chili recipe this biscuit topping would be great with: Beef and Chorizo Chili with Black Beans
And here’s more information on cooking in cast iron from Bon Appetit.
Related items (Affiliate links):
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey, white, dark or mixed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) chicken broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot or mild chili powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 can (15-ounce) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- BISCUIT TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- CHILI: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the green bell pepper and continue cooking another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up the meat until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and chili powder. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the pinto beans and keep warm.
- BISCUIT TOPPING: Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the cheddar cheese. Add the buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Press mixture into a 1/4-cup measuring cup to form 9 small, even biscuits. (You may need to squeeze it together a little bit so that it adheres.) Place the biscuits on top of the chili.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chili is bubbling. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 693Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 141mgSodium 1169mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 40g