Turkey, Black Bean and Quinoa Chili is healthy, easy to make and one you’ll crave all fall and winter long! It’s low in fat with tons of fiber and protein!
When the weather finally cools off here in the South, one of the first things I love to make is a great big pot of chili. Generally, I make a beef chili then freeze it in smaller portions for us to enjoy throughout the winter.
This year, however, I decided to make something on the healthier side. This Turkey, Black Bean and Quinoa Chili has become a fast favorite and one you’re sure to love, too!
Best of all, this fiber and protein-packed chili is super easy!
How to make Turkey, Black Bean and Quinoa Chili:
- Start by browning 2 pounds of ground turkey in a skillet or saute pan. I like to use a combination of white ground turkey and dark ground turkey. The dark ground turkey meat adds extra flavor while still keeping the chili lower in fat.
- I prefer to brown the turkey in a skillet or saute pan because with 2 pounds of ground turkey and the high sides of a Dutch oven or soup pot, the turkey tends to steam and not actually brown. You’ll want to make sure it really browns for added flavor.
- Drain off any excess liquid or fat from the turkey, then sprinkle the spices directly over the turkey meat, stir and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, cook onion, Poblano peppers, red bell pepper and a jalapeno or two.
- Add the seasoned turkey meat back in along with chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chiles, crushed tomatoes, black beans and quinoa.
- Let it simmer away until the quinoa is cooked and the chili thickens up.
- If you have any leftover quinoa from another use, simply toss it in at the end. However, the chili may not be as thick as cooking the quinoa in the chili will help to thicken it up.
That’s it! Serve with your favorite chili toppings! For this chili, we like sour cream, avocado, jalapeno slices, shredded white cheddar cheese and a garnish of cilantro.
So delicious and so healthy!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Turkey, Black Bean and Quinoa Chili (Affiliate Links):
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey, white or dark meat
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, chopped
- 2 medium Poblano peppers, seeds and membrane removed, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (15-ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or saute pan. Add the turkey and brown well, breaking it up as you go until thoroughly cooked through. Drain off any excess liquid or fat.
- Season the turkey with salt, black pepper and sprinkle the spices over the turkey. Stir to coat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or other heavy soup pot.
- Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 5-6 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the red bell pepper, Poblano peppers and jalapeno peppers. Cook 5-6 minutes or until softening.
- Add the garlic and stir cook until fragrant, approximately 15 seconds.
- Transfer the turkey to the Dutch oven along with the chicken broth, quinoa, black beans, diced tomatoes with chiles and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 30-45 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and chili has thickened.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper or chili powder as desired.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream and diced avocado or any other toppings you desire.
Amount Per Serving Calories 428Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 113mgSodium 744mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 31g