Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili packs a lot of flavor for not a lot of labor! Take a pot of this to a football get-together and it will be the hit of the party!
Hello, holiday crazy! Goodbye, mealtime stress with my Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili!
Here’s my super-fast recipe for Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili for a quick and hearty wintertime meal that won’t stress you out. It’s perfect for a weeknight or for when you’re too busy to cook but you want something hearty and comforting. It’s crazy full of flavor without a lot of labor!
Take a pot of this to a football get-together and it will be the hit of the party!
Tips for making Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili:
- If you’re feeling industrious, you can make your own green enchilada sauce. But, we’re talking easy here so just use a good quality brand. If you want to make your own, here’s a recipe from Chili Pepper Madness.
- I usually have the best luck with premade ingredients such as green enchilada sauce when I get them at a local international or Hispanic market versus the local grocery store.
- There’s nothing wrong with using canned beans if the beans are not the focal point of the dish and there are lots of other textures going on.
- Be sure to rinse the beans well as the liquid they’re in can be on the salty side. You also don’t want the liquid they’re packed in diluting these rocking flavors!
- Instead of chicken, feel free to use that leftover turkey from Thanksgiving you have stored in the freezer. (You DID store it in the freezer, I hope!)
Add all the best chili fixings! Sour cream, chopped scallion, cilantro and avocado or anything else your heart desires!
Ta-daa! Dinner is done and so very good!
More spicy soup, stew and chili recipes:
- Chorizo, White Bean and Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Turkey, Butternut Squash and Black Bean Stew
- Turkey, Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Split Pea Soup with Ham
- Slow Cooker Colorado Green Chili
- Beef and Chorizo Chili with Black Beans
Helpful Tools and Equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 can (15-ounce) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper or Poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (seeded if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 can (28-ounce) green enchilada sauce
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), cut into several large pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cans (15-ounce) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream and chopped scallion, for serving
- Combine the chipotle pepper(s) and chicken broth in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, green or Poblano pepper and jalapenos, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, cumin, oregano and bay leaf and cook 30 seconds.
- Add green enchilada sauce, chicken broth/chipotle combination and chicken.
- Bring to a boil and cook 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cool slightly.
- Shred the chicken, add it back to the chili along with beans. Bring back to a simmer to heat through. Discard bay leaf and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream and scallions.
MAKE AHEAD: Make up to 2 days ahead. Cool thoroughly and refrigerate. Reheat on the stovetop 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY: Cool thoroughly. Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or slowly in the microwave.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 19g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.