Mexican Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream is an easy side dish perfect to serve with anything you’re making this summer–especially grilled burgers and steaks!
Why This Recipe is a Keeper:
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to white potato fries or wedges to pair with burgers and steaks this summer, this Mexican sweet potato recipe is for you! They have tons of flavor and the Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream is the perfect accompaniment.
You’ll also love these spicy, crusty sweet potato wedges with Southwestern or Mexican mains such as enchiladas and tacos. Love potatoes with a salad? Same here! We love them alongside Southwestern Layered Salad. Also great as an accompaniment to Chipotle Beef and Bean Chili or Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili.
Best of all, they’re super easy to make so let’s make ’em!
How to Make Mexican Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream:
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this Mexican sweet potato recipe along with how to prep. See the recipe card below for the exact quantities.
- Sweet Potatoes: Four to six medium to large sweet potatoes of any variety will work. I like to select similar-sized potatoes so the wedges are of similar size. If you prefer not to peel the potatoes, just make sure you scrub them well and blot them dry.
- Olive Oil: No need to use a high-quality oil here. Canola or vegetable oil is also fine.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: I generally only use these dried spices in spice blends or in rubs–seldom as a substitute for the real thing.
- Smoked Paprika: This spice of Spanish origin is made from pimento peppers that are smoked and dried over an oak fire which gives it a deep red color and rich smoky flavor. It has many applications, but you’ll really love it in chili.
- Cayenne Pepper: If the chili powder and smoked paprika are spicy enough for you, feel free to leave out.
- Gather and prep all the ingredients.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into thick wedges.
- Place on a cast iron griddle or baking pan. If you don’t have one, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil.
- Combine all the spices and seasonings and sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Toss to coat and spread the potatoes back out on the griddle, pan or prepared baking sheet.
- You can also toss the potatoes with the oil and spices in a mixing bowl and then spread out on the griddle, pan or baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and roast, flipping the potatoes once.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream.
- Simply combine them all in a food processor or blender and voila!
- MAKE AHEAD: Combine the spice blend and store in a covered bowl. Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges then refrigerate for up to a day. Toss with the oil and spices then spread out and roast when needed. The Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream can be prepped and combined a day ahead of time.
- Serve with the piping hot sweet potato wedges!
Chef Tips and Tricks:
- If time allows, soak the sweet potato wedges in a bowl of water for 1-2 hours before roasting. This will help to make them crispier.
- I’m really in love with the cast iron baking pan shown in the photos. Because it’s cast iron, clean-up is pretty easy. You can also use a large cast-iron skillet to roast the potato wedges or line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy clean-up.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If you feel it’s going to be too hot for you, simply leave them out. Or, remove the seeds and membranes to take the bite out of the peppers but still have the flavor.
Combine the spice blend and store in a covered bowl. Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges then refrigerate for up to a day. Toss with the oil and spices then spread out and roast when needed. The Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream can be prepped and combined a day ahead of time.
This easy rub is also delicious on chicken or pork.
- Southwestern Beef and Barley Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders
- Grilled Burgers with Bacon Tomato Jam and Smoked Gouda
- Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos with Chipotle Lime Slaw
- Black Bean and Yellow Squash Enchilada Casserole
More sweet potato recipes you’ll love:
Get all my potato recipes at: Potato Side Dish Recipes – From A Chef’s Kitchen
Join the FROM A CHEF’S KITCHEN MAILING LIST to get all the latest posts and more!
Mexican Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado-Cilantro Sour Cream
Sweet Potato Wedges
- 4 medium to large sweet potatoes - peeled and each cut into 6-8 thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt - to taste
Avocado – Cilantro Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream - regular or light
- 1 large avocado - pitted
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper - seeded if desired
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic - minced
- Salt - to taste
- Lime wedges - for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread the potatoes out on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Combine the chili powder, garlic, onion, paprika, cumin and cayenne in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt.
- Sprinkle the spice blend over the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Place in the oven and roast for approximately 40 minutes, flipping the potatoes after approximately 20 minutes.
Avocado – Cilantro Sour Cream
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Serve with sweet potato wedges with lime wedges on the side.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.