Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders are perfect for when you’re in the mood for a barbecue sandwich but you’re not in the mood to go out or go to a lot of trouble!
You can have these Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders together in about 45 minutes with ingredients you may already have on hand.
Chicken breasts on the bone (also referred to as split chicken breasts) work well for braising, which is how I like to cook the chicken for this dish. Keeping the meat on the bone while cooking helps to provide flavor and moisture.
This Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders recipe is a scaled-down version, but it’s easy to double or triple for a party. Keep in mind some split chicken breasts can be quite large; use average-sized breasts. The sauce recipe is easy to double and any extra shredded chicken in the sauce freezes great.
How to make Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders:
A flavorful braising liquid is essential to flavor the chicken. I use onion, lots of garlic, bay leaves, Worcestershire and salt and black pepper.
Place the chicken in the braising liquid and let it cook away.
When the chicken is cooked, transfer it to plate or bowl, then take the meat off the bone and shred with two forks, leaving the skin and bones behind.
Toss with the sauce; then keep it all warm in a slow cooker for your guests. Serve on buns with your favorite coleslaw. Whether you make a slider or a full-size sandwich is up to you and your appetite.
The sauce recipe is a client favorite I’ve been making for years. I mostly do it with chicken; however, it will also work with pork.
Before moving to the Memphis area 20 years ago, I never imagined coleslaw on a barbecue sandwich. Now I can’t imagine a barbecue sandwich without it!
These Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders also go well with other essential American-style sides such as potato salad, baked beans and corn on the cob.
Chicken Pasta Salad with Spinach Buttermilk Dressing
Chicken Pasta Salad with Spinach Buttermilk Dressing is a cool, creamy, delicious and budget-friendly way to feed and please a crowd!
Chicken Pinot Noir with Wild Mushrooms and Fresh Basil
Chicken Pinot Noir with Wild Mushrooms and Fresh Basil is a dish with a European flair! A rich, yet light wine sauce with earthy wild mushrooms is perfect for transitioning from summer to fall!
Chicken Bouillabaisse is a French-inspired rustic chicken stew that's lush and luxurious and elegant enough to serve to guests!
Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean Guacamole and Salsa Fresca
Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean Guacamole and Salsa Fresca are perfect for a fun dinner or festive addition to your Cinco de Mayo party! They’re piled high with guacamole, marinated grilled chicken, fresh salsa, lettuce and queso fresco cheese.
Chicken Spinach and Artichoke Puff Pastry Parcels
Chicken Spinach and Artichoke Puff Pastry Parcels are super elegant and perfect for your Easter celebration!
Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing
Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing is fresh, cool, crunchy and the perfect way to use up grilled chicken!
Chicken Scallopini with Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille
Chicken Scallopini with Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille is a twist on Italian Chicken Parmigiana and classic French Ratatouille!
Chicken in Rosa Sauce with Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Spinach
Chicken in Rosa Sauce with Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Spinach is perfect for your romantic Valentine's Day dinner at home! This simply delicious romantic Tuscan-inspired meal will have you asking for amoré!
Chicken Meatballs Marsala with Baked Parmesan Polenta
Chicken Meatballs Marsala with Baked Parmesan Polenta is a fun twist on classic Chicken Marsala. It’s comforting, delicious and is sure to bring a taste of Italy to your table!
Chicken Zucchini Feta Burgers with Jalapeño Tzatziki
Chicken Zucchini Feta Burgers with Jalapeno Tzatziki are a tasty and healthful way to spice up your summer burger routine!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders (Affiliate Links):
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped, divided
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning sauce
- 2 average split chicken breasts (on the bone, with the skin)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 slider buns
- Coleslaw, purchased or homemade
- Fill a large saucepan with water about 3/4 full.
- Finely mince about a heaping 1 tablespoon of the onion; set aside.
- Place remaining onion, garlic, bay leaves, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, salt and black pepper along with chicken into water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Combine the remaining Worcestershire, ketchup, mustard, molasses, maple syrup, vinegar, chili powder and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Heat canola oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet.
- Cook the minced onion 2-3 minutes or until begins to soften.
- Stir in sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook 3-4 minutes to thicken slightly and for flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl and shred meat with two forks, discarding bones and skin.
- Toss chicken with sauce. Serve immediately over slider buns with your favorite coleslaw.
Amount Per Serving Calories 562 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 73mg Sodium 3190mg Carbohydrates 74g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 7g Sugar 35g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 35g