Cool and Creamy Potato Salad is my mom’s award-winning recipe! This delicious potato salad has all the classic potato salad ingredients such as hard-cooked eggs and a creamy mayonnaise dressing but it’s kicked up with horseradish and the coolness of cucumber for an award-winning combination.
Hey, friends! There’s a holiday approaching so this is going to be a quickie post.
My Yankee Doodle Dandy mom would have been 93 years old this July 4th and I wanted to share one of her award-winning recipes! Cool and Creamy Potato Salad! My mother always made the BEST potato salad but this one really rocked and won the Wisconsin Potato Cooking Contest in 1990. She won a number of cooking contests including one for this Moroccan Beef Stew.
Origin of potato salad:
Potato salad is an American classic as you well know. However, it is believed to have originated in Germany in the 1600’s. Cookbooks published in the 1900’s in this country have versions of the American-style potato salad we love and enjoy at picnics, potlucks and family gatherings today!
The judges loved the addition of cucumber and horseradish for a cool, kicked up version of classic potato salad!
Tips for making potato salad:
- Whether you use waxy or starchy potatoes is a personal preference. If you prefer a salad with contrasting textures, use waxy as they will maintain their texture the best. If you prefer a salad with a softer, more creamy texture, Russets are what you want.
- Start with evenly-cut potatoes so the potatoes cook at the same rate.
- Start with cold, salted water.
- Don’t overcook or undercook.
- Drain and cool quickly. Don’t leave them in the pot because they will continue to cook. When you place the potatoes on to boil, place a large sheet pan in the freezer. Then, after draining well, spread the potatoes out on the chilled baking sheet to cool.
- Once the salad is assembled, refrigerate promptly.
I hope you enjoy this Cool and Creamy Potato Salad as much as the Wisconsin judges did!
You’ll also love these potato salads!
- Potato Green Bean Salad with Olives and Feta Cheese
- Potato Artichoke Salad with Horseradish Dressing
Cool and Creamy Potato Salad
- 1 bag (5-pound) Russet potatoes - peeled and cubed
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 1 bunch scallions - including as much of the top as possible, chopped
- 1 medium English cucumber - peeled if desired, chopped
- 4 hard-cooked eggs - chopped
- 1 heaping cup mayonnaise - regular or light
- ½ cup sour cream - regular or light
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish - or to taste
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard - or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Place peeled and cubed potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water.
- Bring to a boil and cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Drain and cool quickly such as on a cold sheet pan. Once cooled, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the celery, scallions, cucumber and eggs.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and mustard in a small bowl and mix well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour dressing over potatoes and gently toss dressing with potatoes and vegetables.
- Add chopped parsley, reserving some for garnish. Chill until ready to serve.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.