French-Style Potato Salad is sure to add a touch of elegance to your next get-together! Served warm, with lots of fresh herbs and a lively vinaigrette, it’s a refreshing change from the typical potato salad. The secret to getting the flavor started is to splash the warm potatoes with chicken stock and wine! Do I have your attention?
The inspiration behind this recipe:
During the summer, I’m all about a good traditional potato salad with the creamy mayonnaise-based dressing, mustardy kick and hard-boiled eggs. Having just enjoyed my mother’s award-winning Cool and Creamy Potato Salad for our Memorial Day cookout, I was looking for something different for another get-together we were having since not everyone was into mayonnaise.
And when a recipe calls for splashing warm potatoes with white wine, I’m all in!
How to make French-Style Potato Salad:
- Start with approximately 3 pounds of baby red and yellow (Yukon Gold) potatoes. You could also use small white potatoes. I like a combination for color.
- Place the whole potatoes in a pot large enough to hold them and fill with water to cover. Give the water a good dose of salt–like a tablespoon or two.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a paring knife.
- Be sure to not overcook them as you don’t want them to fall apart.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly–just so you can touch them. I wear a disposable glove to make handling the hot potatoes easier.
- Slice the potatoes into approximately 1/4-inch-thick slices and place in a bowl. The reason you don’t slice them before boiling is the skins will help keep the potatoes from getting waterlogged. They’ll be able to absorb all the other wonderful flavors better!
- Pour a chicken stock, wine and shallot combination over the potatoes and give them a toss.
- Mix up a simple French-style vinaigrette…
- Pour the vinaigrette over the potatoes and add lots of fresh herbs like parsley, chives and tarragon and give the salad another toss.
That’s it! Place in a serving bowl and garnish with more fresh herbs then dig in! So beautiful and tasty with simple French flair!
Serve with anything you’re grilling or these French-inspired dishes:
- Pistachio Crusted Fish with Lemon Dill Aioli
- Baked Catfish Pecan Meuniere with Spicy Sauteed Greens
- Mediterranean Fish en Papillote
- Chicken Scallopini with Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille
- Chicken Pinot Noir with Wild Mushrooms and Fresh Basil
- Crab-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
More great potato salad recipes:
- Cool and Creamy Potato Salad
- Potato Green Bean Salad with Olives and Feta Cheese
- Potato Artichoke Salad with Horseradish Dressing
Helpful tools and equipment:
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth or stock
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or as needed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Combine the white wine, chicken broth and shallots in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes or until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a knife. Be careful to not overcook or they will crumble.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- As soon as you can handle the potatoes, cut the potatoes into approximately 1/4-inch slices. Place in a large bowl.
- Pour the wine-broth-shallot combination over the potatoes and gently toss.
- Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil to create an emulsion.
- Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes along with the herbs and gently toss.
- Serve immediately warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.