Easy Skillet Mediterranean Chicken has all the light, flavor-packed ingredients found in the sunny region of the Mediterranean. It makes a great healthy dinner any night of the week yet it’s dressy enough for weekend entertaining!
Here’s an easy, healthy and delicious weeknight dinner that’s also perfect for weekend entertaining! It cooks up in one pan and best of all, you may already have many of the ingredients on hand!
Even though many of the ingredients come from your pantry, this dish is jam-packed with fresh flavor!
What is considered a chicken breast?
The breast of a chicken is the underside of the chicken when it’s up and walking around. When a recipe calls for a chicken breast, it most likely means one-half or one side of the breast. A whole breast is considered two halves of a breast.
This easy Mediterranean chicken recipe calls for four chicken breast halves.
How to make Easy Skillet Mediterranean Chicken:
- Gather and prep all the ingredients:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Dry white wine
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- Kalamata olives
- A roasted red pepper from a jar
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges
- Clean and trim the chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken well on both sides until it’s cooked through to 165 degrees in the center.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent to keep warm.
- Place the diced shallot in the pan and cook until it softens up.
- Add the garlic and cook briefly.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pan and bring to a boil. Let that cook a bit until it reduces slightly.
- Keep the heat on high and add the tomatoes. Cook 1 minute or until they blister, pop and release some of their juices.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the lemon wedges and heat through.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the pan.
- Simmer briefly, spooning the pan juices over the chicken to bring it back up to pan temperature.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with lemon wedges. The lemon adds a lovely pop of flavor!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Absolutely! Boneless skinless chicken thighs will take approximately the same amount of time as breasts. Just be sure they’re cooked to 165 degrees in the thickest part.
Bone-in chicken thighs will take longer so you’ll need to allow additional time. You can cook them on the stovetop in the pan until cooked through or brown them well and place them in the oven to finish cooking while making the rest of the dish.
If you prefer not to use wine or don’t have any, chicken broth can be substituted.
Wine is most often used to “deglaze” the pan in recipes. However, as you can see in the process photo above, cooking the shallot and garlic in the pan juices before adding wine will take much of that “fond” off. After cooking the shallot and garlic, add the chicken broth and proceed with the remainder of the recipe. You may wish to add a little extra lemon juice at the end.
More easy delicious chicken breast recipes!
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (approximately 2 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, quartered -PLUS- ¼ cup of the marinade
- ½ cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (from a jar), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in the hot oil and cook until nicely browned on the first side, approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook another 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees in the thickest part. Transfer to a plate and tent to keep warm.
- Add the shallot, and cook 1-2 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook 1 minute or until they blister, pop and release some of their juices.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the lemon wedges) and cook until all the ingredients are heated through.
- Transfer the chicken back to the skillet. Spoon the pan juices over the chicken and cook 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is heated back through to the pan temperature.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 1023mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 6gSugar: 14gProtein: 41g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.