Turkey Apple Meatloaf with Balsamic Ketchup Glaze is a tasty and healthful way to shake up your meatloaf routine! A little bit sweet and a little bit tangy, this definitely is not your momma’s meatloaf!
Hey, all! I’m sharing a recipe with you today that always gets rave reviews from my personal chef clients! It’s my Turkey Apple Meatloaf with Balsamic Ketchup Glaze!
I have probably made this Turkey Apple Meatloaf about a thousand times and that’s not an exaggeration. One client requested it every month for almost two years!
Over the course of my personal chef career, I’ve made this meatloaf two different ways–with a simple sweetened balsamic glaze and with a labor-intensive onion marmalade. Both are delicious, but I think this balsamic ketchup glaze wins for flavor and ease!
It’s possible to purchase balsamic ketchup, but it’s super simple to make yourself and tastes better.
Speaking of something tasting better….
If possible, buy ground turkey freshly ground. I have yet to find a packaged brand at the supermarket that I like and it’s sold in 1-pound packages. I prefer to get ground turkey at The Fresh Market so I can purchase only what I need–like 1 ½ pounds which is the perfect amount for this recipe.
How to make Turkey Apple Meatloaf with Balsamic Ketchup Glaze:
- Saute onions in olive oil and butter until softened.
- Add diced apples and cook until they begin to soften. (You want them to hold their shape in the meatloaf.)
- Add the dried sage and give it a stir.
- Let cool and add the remaining meatloaf ingredients. I always wear disposable gloves for this and just mix it all up with my hands! Easy, easy! (No photo of this step because it’s next to impossible to make ground anything look appealing.)
- Place in a loaf pan and bake. You don’t have to use a loaf pan, but turkey is rather dry so I think a loaf pan helps retain some of the moisture.
- While the turkey meatloaf is almost done baking, make the balsamic ketchup.
- Top the turkey apple meatloaf with the warm glaze…
…And you’re ready to enjoy this healthful, flavorful Turkey Apple Meatloaf with Balsamic Ketchup Glaze!
Want more great meatloaf recipes? Try my:
- Spinach Feta Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
- Layered Turkey Meatloaf with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Chili Glazed Meatloaf
Helpful Tools and Equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- MEAT LOAF
- Oil or cooking spray
- 2 medium Fuji or Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup milk, low-fat or skim
- 1 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey, all white, all dark or a combination
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of cloves
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- MEATLOAF: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with oil or spray with cooking spray. Set aside until needed.
- Combine apples with lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside until needed.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 7-8 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the apples and continue cooking 3-4 minutes or until the apples begin to soften. Stir in the sage. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl and let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, oats, egg, milk, salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- Add the ground turkey and mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Place in the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top into a nice loaf shape.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees.
- GLAZE: Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients, return to heat and bring to a simmer. Cook 1-2 minutes just to combine flavors and heat it through.
- Brush glaze over the meat loaf just before serving or serve it alongside the meat loaf.
If your skillet is large enough and you don't want to dirty a bowl, let the filling cool another 10 minutes or so. Then, add the remaining meat loaf ingredients right into the skillet and mix it up in the skillet. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
Ketchup recipe adapted from Epicurious.com.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 827mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 24gProtein: 29g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.