Cauliflower White Bean Puree is the perfect stand-in for decadent mashed potatoes! Cream cheese makes it rich and creamy while white beans add that touch of thickening and body you crave in a mashed potato substitute–all while keeping it lower-carb!
My husband and I love us some decadent mashed potatoes but we also love a good, slightly more healthful substitute! In all honesty, it’s tough to make mashed potatoes for two people. The peeling of potatoes, the boiling, the mashing? All of that is why we usually reserve mashed potatoes for holidays.
But this! Cauliflower White Bean Puree is perfect for a small household!
Friends, this Cauliflower White Bean puree has got it goin’ on!
I’ve been doing cauliflower purees for my low-carb clients for forever.
For them, I usually do a simple combination of cauliflower, some onion and garlic simmered in chicken broth, drained then pureed. If you don’t get all the liquid out, you can end up with something that resembles a thick cauliflower soup.
This Cauliflower White Bean Puree is light but still has all the creaminess of decadent mashed potatoes. White beans, or cannellini beans add a bit of healthful starch so the possibility of thick cauliflower soup happening is much less.
How to make Cauliflower White Bean Puree:
- Start with two medium heads of white cauliflower.
- Cut the cauliflower into large florets. Add the onion, garlic, white beans and chicken broth.
- Simmer covered part of the way and uncovered the other so that much of liquid evaporates and concentrates for flavor.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Puree with an immersion blender.
Mmmwaaaahhhh! Cauliflower and White Bean Puree! You’re going to love the cheesy flavor, the creaminess and the consistency that mimics mashed potatoes!
Want another amazing mashed potato substitute? Try:
More great cauliflower recipes:
- Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit
- Cauliflower Antipasto Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower with Black Olive Pangrattato
- Roasted Cauliflower and Barley Pilaf
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Cauliflower White Bean Puree (Affiliate Links):
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 package)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- Combine cauliflower, onions, garlic, chicken broth and cannellini beans in a Dutch oven or small soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover slightly and cook 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower begins to soften.
- Uncover and break up the cauliflower as much as you can with a wooden spoon or other utensil.
- Continue simmering uncovered over low heat until much of the liquid has evaporated, being careful the liquid doesn't completely boil out and the cauliflower beings to burn.
- Add cream cheese and butter.
- Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 223 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 30mg Sodium 517mg Carbohydrates 23g Fiber 8g Sugar 5g Protein 10g