Cauliflower Parmigiana is a vegetarian twist on Chicken Parmigiana, the classic Italian – American dish. It’s light, healthy, easy and perfect for that first al fresco dinner on the patio!
Happy Spring, everyone! It’s so nice to finally say that! I’m absolutely loving more daylight hours, slightly warmer weather and trees and shrubs beginning to flower.
Why is it, however, that spring brings with it SO MUCH WORK!
It took me the better part of Saturday to clean the garage and lately, I’m into doing a little redecorating and “spiffing” in our home. Freshening up feels so good!
So, how about we freshen up a classic dish, too? Classic Chicken Parmigiana is an Italian-American dish that’s breaded and fried. However, whenever I make Chicken Parmigiana for clients, I always bake it to make it a little lighter.
Here’s my vegetarian version of a client favorite: Cauliflower Parmigiana!
There’s no doubt cauliflower is having its day in the sun for its versatility. It’s a great substitute for so many things such as potatoes, rice and the perfect vegetarian substitute for chicken in this dish.
How to make Cauliflower Parmigiana:
- Start with a super-fresh head of cauliflower.
- Cut it into approximately ¾-inch “steaks.” Cutting cauliflower into steaks is not easy and it will fall apart. If you want steaks that hold together for presenting to your guests, you’ll need to use two heads of cauliflower. Use only the center and use the bits and pieces that remain another way such as in a salad. However, because the marinara sauce will go over the top, you can use the whole head of cauliflower. Simply piece those end slices together the way I did here. The marinara sauce and cheese is the perfect disguise!
- After slicing the head of cauliflower, brush the cauliflower steaks with olive oil and coat with the breadcrumb and Parmesan cheese combination.
- Spritz with cooking spray or olive oil in a mister and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees. You want a lower temperature because the cauliflower takes a while to get tender and you don’t want the breading to get too browned. All ovens vary, so check the cauliflower after 20 to 25 minutes to make sure they’re not getting too browned.
- After baking the cauliflower steaks, I carefully take them off the parchment, then remove the parchment and place on the clean baking sheet. All those browned bits are going to get even browner which you don’t want.
- Top with your favorite marinara sauce…
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese….
- Place back in the oven for a little bit….
- Cauliflower Parmigiana! A light, lovely and delicious meatless entree!
For more great cauliflower recipes, be sure to try my:
- Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit
- Vegan Indian Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
- Cauliflower, Red Lentil and Potato Curry
- Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes in Roasted Red Pepper Mole
- Vegan Thai Red Curry with Cauliflower and Potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower and Barley Pilaf
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into approximately 6 "steaks," each ½ to ¾-inch thick
- 1 cup panko
- ¼ cup seasoned Italian dry breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil (or as needed)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 jar (24-ounce) marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups freshly shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Carefully cut the cauliflower into approximately 6 steaks. (If the steaks fall apart, simply piece them back together after breading.)
- Combine panko, Italian breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Season olive oil generously with salt and black pepper.
- Brush the cauliflower steaks with olive oil then dredge in the breadcrumb/cheese combination.
- Spray with cooking spray or an olive oil-mister to moisten the breadcrumbs.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden. (Check after 20-25 minutes.)
- Transfer to a clean baking sheet or a clean piece of parchment paper on the baking sheet you were using.
- Top with marinara sauce as desired.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Increase temperature to 400 degrees. Bake 10 minutes or until sauce is heated through and cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1067Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 240mgSodium: 911mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 73g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.