Rosemary Garlic Crushed Potatoes with Lemon Chive Aioli is a beautiful side dish with country French elegance! Buttery Yukon Gold Potatoes are cooked, crushed, then brushed with herb-infused olive oil and baked again for the ultimate “twice-baked” potato!
Rosemary Garlic Crushed Potatoes with Lemon Chive Aioli are the ultimate twice-baked potato you’re going to love.
Crushed (or smashed) potatoes bring back some beautiful memories for me. Eight years ago, I had the amazing opportunity to cruise down the Canal du Midi in the South of France on barges with some of my personal chef buds. Historic barges that used to carry goods down the canals of southern France have now been restored into floating bed and breakfasts. Yes, friends, this is a trip you need to take.
There were a few ups and downs as all trips tend to have. We dealt with train strikes that made getting to our destination difficult and later, a volcano shut down air traffic from Europe back to the United States.
Okay, none of us really cared because…. Hello! We were floating along in the South of France on a barge with gourmet meals prepared by a professional chef every meal every day for a week!
With plenty of wine!
Because France is filled with amazing markets and we had access to a kitchen, we made dinner for our hosts one night to thank them for their incredible hospitality. A dish similar to this was on our menu.
It’s super easy to do. Simply boil small whole waxy potatoes until you can just pierce them with a knife. You don’t want to overcook them; you just want to be able to flatten them easily.
Watch the potatoes carefully and begin removing ones that are done, allowing any others that require more time to keep cooking.
I like to crush them using my hand with a clean potholder or kitchen towel between my hand and the hot potato. Don’t mash them into a pancake, just gently crush. They should still hold together somewhat well. (One or two lost pieces is fine.)
Brush with rosemary and garlic-infused olive oil, then place them back in the oven.
While the crushed potatoes are baking and developing a wonderful crispy bottom, whisk together the aioli. Aioli is basically a garlic-infused mayonnaise the French often serve with potatoes. My version is kicked up with lemon and fresh chives.
I’m going to stop talking now so you can just scroll and admire…..
How are these for some beautiful spuds?
Seriously! Make these Rosemary Garlic Crushed Potatoes with Lemon Chive Aioli!
For more delicious potato recipes, be sure to try my:
- Cheddar and Bacon Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Perfect Roasted Potato Wedges
- Oven Fries with Spicy Pesto Aioli
- Au Gratin Potatoes for Two
- Skillet Salt Roasted Baby Potatoes with Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce
- Patatas Bravas Chilenos
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Rosemary Garlic Crushed Potatoes with Lemon Chive Aioli (Affiliate Links):
- 12 small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- POTATOES: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in a small saucepan and fill with water to cover. Add salt to taste. Bring it to a boil and cook the potatoes until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Be careful not to overcook.
- Brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Drain the potatoes and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Crush the potatoes to flatten, being careful not to overdo it.
- Combine olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Brush the tops of the potatoes with the oil and herb combination.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and crispy on the bottom.
- AIOLI: Combine aioli ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with potatoes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 923 Total Fat 55g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 45g Cholesterol 27mg Sodium 626mg Carbohydrates 99g Fiber 11g Sugar 6g Protein 12g