Oven Fries with Spicy Pesto Aioli make the perfect summer side dish for burgers, steaks, fish, chicken or anything else you’re grilling!
My fresh basil has gone crazy so I’m trying to use it as much as possible. Most years I can’t keep up and what I end up doing is just making a ton of pesto. Then, I spend most of the winter looking for ways to use the pesto.
Honestly, I don’t think frozen pesto is as good but it works when it’s January, it’s 20 degrees outside and when buying enough fresh basil to make pesto will put you in the poorhouse!
Here’s an easy, delicious way to use up some of that basil now! Oven Fries with Spicy Pesto Aioli!
How to make Oven Fries with Spicy Pesto Aioli:
For oven fries, I like to use Russets. However, you could also use waxy potatoes such as Red Bliss or Yukon Gold that are on the large side. For more information on types of potatoes, visit PotatoGoodness.com.
- Cut potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) into wedges.
- Toss peeled potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. (The only time I use garlic or onion powder is in spice rubs, spice mixes or on roasted potatoes.)
- Place them on a nonstick baking sheet or line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Make sure one of the flat, cut sides is touching the baking sheet so it browns.
While the potatoes are “frying,” make the spicy pesto aioli.
- Toast the pine nuts in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Keep an eye on them and toss them frequently. You don’t need to have them completely browned; just a light toasting will do to bring out their lovely flavor.
- Combine all the aioli ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
We started to put a jalapeno pepper or two in our pesto a couple of years ago and we now do it all the time. If you don’t like it spicy, just leave it out or remove the seeds to tone it down.
That’s it! The perfect summer side dish for burgers, steaks, chicken, fish or anything else you’re grilling up!
Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese just before serving and enjoy!
For more great ‘tater goodness, check out my other recipes!
- Perfect Roasted Potato Wedges
- Cheddar and Bacon Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Spinach Parmesan Ranch Twice-Baked Potatoes with Parmesan Crumb Topping
Items you’ll need to make Oven Fries with Spicy Pesto Aioli:
- OVEN FRIES
- 5 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 6-8 wedges each
- 1/2 cup olive oil (approximately)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- salt, to taste
OVEN FRIES: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss potatoes with olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and black pepper to taste. Spread the potatoes out onto 2 nonstick baking sheets (alternately, use nonstick aluminum foil), leaving some space between them. Arrange the potatoes so that one flat cut side of the potato is face down on the baking sheet.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, flipping the potatoes once, or until golden brown and tender.
AIOLI: Meanwhile, combine aioli ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Serve with potatoes