Lemony Lentil, Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese is light, healthful, perfect for a spring meal and will go with just about anything!
Hey, everyone! Yes, I know…. Things went a little quiet here for a while at From A Chef’s Kitchen. It’s been a crazy month! I went to two food blogger conferences (MediaVine Publishers Conference and Everything Food Conference), my mother-in-law was visiting and we had the stair refinishing debacle. Because of all the refinishing, stripping and refinishing again, I was evicted from my office/photo studio (which is on the second floor) for days at a time.
I’m very blessed to have a mother-in-law I actually want to spend time with. We did a lot with the kids and grandkids while she was here so that she could make the most of her visit. Family first, but I’m itchin’ to get back in my kitchen now that our house is back together. My laundry is even done!
After eating way too much recently, I’ve been craving something healthy and light. This Greek-inspired Lemony Lentil, Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese has so many of my favorite things!
We had all the ingredients on hand. We always have lentils in the pantry, feta in the fridge and we still had some asparagus from our asparagus patch. Grape or cherry tomatoes are always on our kitchen island because my granddaughter, Madison, is a tomato freak.
Keep fresh lemons in a bowl and Italian parsley in the fridge and you’ll be able to create so many things!
Always try to think ahead a little bit when you’re cooking and try to combine steps if possible. For example, I start with a saucepan of salted boiling water to blanch the asparagus. This may be common sense but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve inadvertently spilled out cooking water I could have used again! Scoop the asparagus out with a small sieve because you can use that water to cook the lentils.
You’ll also need to prepare an ice bath to “shock” the asparagus once you’ve blanched it. This process “sets” the color. Then, use that ice water to help cool the lentils. You’ll save time and resources!
This is one of those salads to enjoy in so many ways and it will go with just about anything! How about topped with some grilled chicken? Alongside shish kebab? Oh, yeah!
Want more great spring-inspired salad ideas? Be sure to check out:
- Arugula, Egg and Asparagus Salad with Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette
- French Lentil Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing
- Cucumber, Tomato and Red Onion Salad with Yogurt Mint Dressing and Feta Cheese
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Lemony Lentil, Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese (Affiliate Links):
- 1 pound thin asparagus, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Prepare an ice bath.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook 10-15 seconds or until it turns bright green. Remove with a small sieve and transfer to the ice bath.
- Add the lentils to the boiling water and cook 15-20 minutes or until they're tender, being careful not to overcook. Drain and rinse under cold running water (and use the ice water). Drain well. Pat the asparagus dry.
- Combine the lentils, asparagus, tomatoes, red onion and parsley in a bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil and garlic together. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the feta cheese and toss. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon slices. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 192 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 11mg Sodium 307mg Carbohydrates 16g Fiber 5g Sugar 5g Protein 8g