Lemony Broccoli, Barley and White Bean Salad is a light and lively Mediterranean-inspired salad that’s perfect for a healthful lunch or side dish for almost anything!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
I actually purchased this broccoli to make another wintry dish that involved cheese but my tastebuds weren’t feeling it. Besides a green side salad this fall and winter, it felt like ages since I had a really good vegetable salad.
When most people think “broccoli salad,” the classic with the dried fruit, bacon, cheddar cheese and mayo dressing probably comes to mind. Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of that salad.
Bye-bye old-fashioned broccoli salad! Enter the broccoli salad reinvented with this Lemony Broccoli, Barley and White Bean Salad!
How to make Lemony Broccoli, Barley and White Bean Salad:
This fresh, vibrant lemony broccoli salad is super easy to make!
- First, you’ll need to cook the barley. Simply bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and add the barley. Let that boil away for 15 minutes or so until the barley is cooked but still al dente.
- Drain it in a sieve and rinse with cold water to cool it down. Let the barley drain thoroughly before adding it to the salad.
- Combine fresh, chopped broccoli, red onion, drained and rinsed canned white beans such as cannellini (white kidney beans) or Great Northern. Cannellini beans have a creamier texture while Great Northern are a little more “grainy” which is fine for a crunchy fresh salad such as this one.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Chopped Kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley, garlic and then mix up a simple, simple lemon dressing. Season to taste with salt and black pepper….
- Stir and enjoy!
Light, healthful and flavorful Lemony Broccoli, Barley and White Bean Salad!
Serve over lettuce such as butter lettuce, arugula or spinach. Perfect for lunch or a side salad with dinner! Definitely NOT your momma’s old-fashioned broccoli salad!
Serve on the side with:
- Grilled fish, chicken, beef or pork
- Buttery Blackened Steak Bites with Gorgonzola
- Pan-Seared Sea Scallops with Watermelon – Tomato Salsa
- Shrimp in Avocado Butter
- Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Peach Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders
For more delicious side salads, try my:
- Mediterranean Farro Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad with Yogurt
- Cauliflower Artichoke Tabbouleh
- Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad
- Cucumber, Red Onion and Feta Cheese Salad
- Tuscan Cherry Tomato and White Bean Salad
- Lemony Lentil Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese
- Warm Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad
- Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Mediterranean Barley Salad with Green Beans, Red Bell Pepper, Olives and Feta Cheese
- 20 Super Side Salads for Your Summer Soiree!
Lemony Broccoli Barley and White Bean Salad
Click to Rate!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 can (15-ounce) cannellini beans (white kidney beans) - or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bunch broccoli - heads and tender stems coarsely chopped (reserve stems for another use)
- 1/2 small red onion - cut into slivers
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley - plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the barley and boil approximately 15-18 minutes or until barley is cooked but still al dente.
- Drain in a sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- Combine beans, broccoli, red onion, parsley and Kalamata olives in a mixing bowl. Add drained and cooled barley.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.