Limey, buttery and easy, Shrimp in Avocado Butter makes a luxurious appetizer, tapas or delicious, indulgent dinner!
Are you ready for the big solar eclipse happening this Monday? I’m a little meh on the whole thing. I haven’t researched it a lot, I just know in order to view it you have to wear goofy glasses so you don’t go blind. You also have to be in the right place at the right time to experience the total eclipse. Don’t think I want to work that hard! Here in Memphis, the sun will be 96% blocked. Could be epic, however, so we’ll try to have a look!
Here’s something else that’s epic!
Shrimp in Avocado Butter.
I almost didn’t publish this recipe or the photos. This dish was SOOO green! But it’s SOOO good! And hey, avocado, cilantro and lime juice are all green right?
This avocado butter is limey, creamy, easy, luxurious and perfect with shrimp. It’s like a Southwestern version of shrimp scampi!
The avocado butter is super easy. Simply combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
To make this butter ahead of time, place a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter, spoon the avocado butter onto it then form into a cylinder and freeze it. Simply refrigerating it will cause it to turn a funky color.
If you’re a regular reader, you’ve probably already heard my “wild American shrimp” schpiel. I avoid farmed, imported shrimp like crazy and go so far as to not order shrimp in restaurants if I’m unsure where it originated.
Simply pan-sear the shrimp and toss in the avocado butter to melt.
Once you’ve added the avocado butter, I highly recommend serving it immediately so the dish stays a nice, bright green.
Shrimp in Avocado Butter is a great appetizer, tapas or easy dinner. For a satisfying dinner, serve with some rice or quinoa on the side.
The butter is also perfect with fish, scallops or chicken. Simply freeze in a cylinder as shown and slice off what you need.
Enjoy and let’s eat!
These items will come in mighty handy for this recipe! (Affiliate links)
Limey, buttery and easy, Shrimp in Avocado Butter makes a luxurious appetizer, tapas or delicious dinner!
- 1 large avocado, pitted
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1-2 large limes, to taste)
- salt, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound jumbo (12-20 ct) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Combine avocado, butter, cilantro, garlic and lime juice in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt to taste and add lime juice as needed. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet. Season shrimp with salt and black pepper.
- Place shrimp in the skillet and cook 1-2 minutes per side or until translucent and firm.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over the shrimp. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Spread a large piece of plastic wrap flat on the counter. Transfer butter to the plastic wrap and form into a cylinder. Freeze.