Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes is a lovely, easy spring-inspired classic Italian dish that’s perfect for a spring date night dinner!
This recipe for Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes showcases one of spring’s first arrivals–artichokes. It’s a client favorite and is sure to get you rave reviews. It’s adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger of the Food Network. I scaled it for an elegant dinner for two.
The addition of baby artichokes to this classic Italian-American dish is sheer genius by Ellie. Artichokes pair well with something acidic such as the lemon juice typically used in shrimp scampi and with something creamy like the butter that is often used.
Ellie’s recipe for Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes calls for frozen or canned artichokes. These can be used in a pinch if you can’t find fresh baby artichokes.
Artichokes have a delicate flavor that is best enjoyed fresh. If not using fresh baby artichokes, opt for frozen over canned. Canned artichokes have very little of the delicate artichoke flavor remaining.
Baby artichokes may look intimidating at first, but they are actually quite user-friendly because they cook much faster than large, full-grown artichokes.
How to work with baby artichokes for Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes:
- After washing the artichokes, remove the outermost leaves until you get to the pale green that runs halfway up the artichoke.
- Cut off the stem, then trim off any rough edges around the base of the artichoke where you removed the leaves.
- Cut the top off the artichoke about ¾-inch down from the tip.
- Immediately submerge into potent acidulated (preferably lemon) water to prevent browning.
If you’re still concerned about handling this specialty produce item, this YouTube video will help you through the process.
Ellie’s recipe does not call for butter. However, it doesn’t quite seem like shrimp scampi without it! Just use a small amount of the real thing if you’re watching your weight or use a light butter product such as Land O’Lakes Light Butter instead.
Serve this Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes over pasta such as linguine. All you need on the side is a crisp salad of baby greens or green vegetables.
Here’s another amazing artichoke recipe you’re sure to love! Roasted Artichokes with Garlic Butter
Helpful tools and equipment to make Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes (Affiliate Links):
- 4 large lemons
- 1 package of baby artichokes (usually 9-count)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail removed
- 4 tablespoons softened butter, regular or light
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Fill a small mixing bowl with water. Juice the lemons and place the juice of 3 of the lemons in the water. Reserve the juice of the remaining lemon.
- Trim the baby artichokes: Remove the tough outermost leaves until the pale green area appears about halfway up the artichoke. Cut off the stem and trim the rough edges at the base where the leaves were removed. Cut off the top of the artichoke about 3/4 of an inch down from the tip. Immediately submerge in the lemon water.
- When finished trimming all the artichokes, cut each one into quarters and immediately place back in the acidulated water.
- Transfer artichokes and 1 cup of the acidulated water to a skillet or sauté pan. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until artichokes are easily pierced with a knife. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in the skillet or sauté pan. Add the shallots and cook 8-10 minutes or until softened, being careful not to brown. Add the garlic and drained artichokes and cook briefly, about 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine and the reserved lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cook 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in the shrimp and cook gently until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Stir in the butter, red pepper flakes and parsley. Adjust seasoning if necessary with salt. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 679Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 420mgSodium 1993mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 10gSugar 9gProtein 44g