Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad is easy, wholesome and you may already have everything on hand to make this delicious salad! If you’ve been wanting to try kale, this salad will get you hooked!
I wish I had been this Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad today. This beautiful red kale received a glorious massage before becoming this glorious Italian-inspired salad.
Massage kale? Who massages their kale?
How to massage kale:
Massaging kale softens and tenderizes it. All you need to do is add a small amount of olive oil to a bowl of kale then jump in with both hands and give it a good rubdown for a few minutes. Your kale will thank you!
Here’s more information on the process from the Huffington Post.
Cooking for a living is a wonderful career, but when the heat index is around 110….not so much. It seemed every air conditioning unit in every home I worked struggled to battle the intense Southern heat!
Thanks to the heat and neglecting to drink enough water, I’m now battling a pretty good headache.
Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad is the perfect salad for a day when you need to rejuvenate with something on the healthful side, but also don’t want to go to any more work than rummage through your pantry and fridge.
There’s something addicting in kale because now I always seem to have it hand. The rest of the antipasto-inspired ingredients for this salad such as red onion, salami, Parmesan cheese, artichoke hearts and something I can eat by the jar–pepperoncini–came from our refrigerator and pantry.
I couldn’t even find it in me to make a dressing, so rather than draining away the delicious marinade from the artichoke hearts, I use it for the dressing. Just splash on some extra red wine vinegar to taste.
Another reason you’re going to love this salad is it keeps for several days in the refrigerator.
Enjoy and stay cool!
Looking for a unique twist on Caesar salad? Try my Massaged Kale Sprout Caesar Salad!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Massage Kale Antipasto Salad (Affiliate Links):
- 2 small bunches red kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar (12-ounce) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 package (3-ounce) salami (Milano or Genoa), thinly sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Red wine vinegar, to taste
- Pour olive oil over kale. Season with salt and black pepper.
- With both hands, massage the kale 1-2 minutes or until it softens and shrinks by about 1/3.
- Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes. Stir minced garlic into reserved marinade. Set aside.
- Toss kale with artichoke hearts, red onion, salami, pepperoncini and Parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle with reserved marinade as needed (you don't want it soggy).
- Splash with a bit of red wine vinegar to taste. Add additional freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving Calories 196Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 11mgSodium 412mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 5g