Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan is a healthful, dramatic and inspired vegetable side dish that’s also super easy to make!
I’m so excited about sharing these Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan with you!
About a year ago, I read a Facebook posting about Brussels sprouts and kale being successfully crossbred to produce…….(drum roll)…..kale sprouts! Oh, be still my beating heart!
First of all, I was a weird kid who actually loved Brussels sprouts. Then I became the weird adult who loved Brussels sprouts.
I’m also crazy about kale, so when I saw these little babies at Whole Foods the other day (sold under the brand name Kalettes®), it was a no-brainer–they were coming home with me. If you have a garden in a cool climate, you can even grow them yourself now!
Here’s an easy recipe for these special little sprouts–Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan. Roasting is my all-time favorite way to prepare any cruciferous vegetable.
How to roast kale sprouts:
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, good balsamic vinegar and add garlic.
- Give the sprouts a light “massage” to work the oil and balsamic vinegar in a bit. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until edges become lightly browned and sprouts are just tender.
- The roasting time may vary depending upon the size of the sprouts. They’re done when the leaves are crispy but not burned. However, just as with kale and Brussels sprouts they can taste bitter if burned.
- And Parmesan! You need Parmesan cheese for these. The nutty flavor of the cheese, the mild bitterness of the sprouts and the mild acidity of the balsamic vinegar all sing together. Grated Parmesan is fine, but shaved adds to the drama!
How easy is that?
If you can’t find kale sprouts, ask your grocer to get them. You’ll be amazed at how responsive your produce manager is–especially if you’re a good customer.
This dish also works well with Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!
More kale sprout recipes:
- Kale Sprout, Spinach and Arugula Gratin with Cambozola
- Massaged Kale Sprout Caesar Salad
- Shredded Kale Sprout and Baby Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese
- Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Prosciutto, Kale Sprouts and Balsamic Drizzle
- Chili Roasted Kale Sprouts with Lime Salt
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 12 ounces (or 2 packages) kale sprouts (may be sold under the brand name Kalettes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup loosely-packed shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss kale sprouts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until edges become lightly browned and sprouts are just tender.
- Toss with minced garlic, return to oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and gently toss.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.