Looking for a healthful, dramatic and inspired vegetable side dish? You’re going to love my Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan!
I’m so excited about these little babies I can hardly contain myself!
About a year ago, I read a Facebook posting about Brussels sprouts and kale being successfully crossbred to produce…….(drum roll)…..kale sprouts! Oh, be still my beating heart!
First of all, I was a weird kid who actually loved Brussels sprouts. Then I became the weird adult who loved Brussels sprouts.
I’m also crazy about kale, so when I saw these little babies at Whole Foods the other day (sold under the brand name Kalettes®), it was a no-brainer–they were coming home with me.
Here’s an easy recipe for these special little sprouts–Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan. Roasting is my all-time favorite way to prepare any cruciferous vegetable.
It’s so easy to roast them. Spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, good balsamic vinegar and add garlic. Give the sprouts a light “massage” to work the oil and balsamic vinegar in a bit. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. How easy is that?
The roasting time may vary depending upon the size of the sprouts. They’re done when the leaves are crispy but not burned. However, just as with kale and Brussels sprouts they can taste bitter if burned.
And Parmesan! You need Parmesan cheese for these. The nutty flavor of the cheese, the mild bitterness of the sprouts and the mild acidity of the balsamic vinegar all sing together. Grated Parmesan is fine, but shaved adds to the drama!
If you can’t find kale sprouts, ask your grocer to get them. You’ll be amazed at how responsive your produce manager is–especially if you’re a good customer.
This dish also works well with Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!
Looking for a healthful, dramatic and inspired vegetable side dish? You're going to love my Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan!
- 12 ounces (or 2 packages) kale sprouts (may be sold under the brand name Kalettes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup loosely-packed shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss kale sprouts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until edges become lightly browned and sprouts are just tender.
- Toss with minced garlic, return to oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and gently toss.