Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan is a healthful, dramatic and inspired vegetable side dish that’s also super easy to make!
I’m so excited about sharing these Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan with you!
About a year ago, I read a Facebook posting about Brussels sprouts and kale being successfully crossbred to produce…….(drum roll)…..kale sprouts! Oh, be still my beating heart!
First of all, I was a weird kid who actually loved Brussels sprouts. Then I became the weird adult who loved Brussels sprouts.
I’m also crazy about kale, so when I saw these little babies at Whole Foods the other day (sold under the brand name Kalettes®), it was a no-brainer–they were coming home with me. If you have a garden in a cool climate, you can even grow them yourself now!
Here’s an easy recipe for these special little sprouts–Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan. Roasting is my all-time favorite way to prepare any cruciferous vegetable.
How to roast kale sprouts:
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, good balsamic vinegar and add garlic.
- Give the sprouts a light “massage” to work the oil and balsamic vinegar in a bit. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until edges become lightly browned and sprouts are just tender.
- The roasting time may vary depending upon the size of the sprouts. They’re done when the leaves are crispy but not burned. However, just as with kale and Brussels sprouts they can taste bitter if burned.
- And Parmesan! You need Parmesan cheese for these. The nutty flavor of the cheese, the mild bitterness of the sprouts and the mild acidity of the balsamic vinegar all sing together. Grated Parmesan is fine, but shaved adds to the drama!
How easy is that?
If you can’t find kale sprouts, ask your grocer to get them. You’ll be amazed at how responsive your produce manager is–especially if you’re a good customer.
This dish also works well with Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!
More recipes that can be adapted to kale sprouts:
- Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad
- Spicy Sauteed Kale with Andouille Sausage
- Roasted Purple Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese
Balsamic Roasted Kale Sprouts with Shaved Parmesan
- 12 ounces kale sprouts - 2 packages (may be sold under the brand name Kalettes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar - to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese - loosely packed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss kale sprouts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until edges become lightly browned and sprouts are just tender.
- Toss with minced garlic, return to oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and gently toss.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.