Sauteed Kale with Andouille Sausage is a modern twist on a Southern classic that's super easy and just as flavorful!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
There’s certainly an art to cooking greens the Southern way and I would NOT want to get in the middle of two Southern cooks debating whose greens are better.
You see, I'm a Yankee and I had to learn about Southern cooking. When I first moved to the South, I couldn't believe how long they cooked their vegetables!
My soon-to-be husband who already lived here in the Memphis area had just been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I remember getting something to eat in the hospital cafeteria that had seriously well-cooked yellow squash.
However, since then, I've come to love the intricacies of Southern American cooking. These are people who take extreme pride in what they create and good Southern-style cuisine is like no other in the world! Slowly-braised collards cooked down into melty goodness with a ham hock is something everyone needs to experience in their lifetime.
Spicy Sauteed Kale with Andouille Sausage is a twist on the slowly-braised Southern classic but with some New Orleans flair that's perfect for today! No need to slowly-braise anything. A quick saute with Andouille sausage, garlic, hot sauce and vinegar and it's all done!
How to make Sauteed Kale with Andouille Sausage:
- Start with about 4 ounces of cooked Andouille sausage (this Wisconsin girl loves Johnsonville!). Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into half-moon pieces.
- Give the Andouille sausage a quick saute in a little oil. Transfer it to a plate.
- Start sauteeing the kale in batches with garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Add the Andouille sausage back in along with some Tabasco (another Southern staple) and a splash of vinegar!
Baby! That's it!
You've got a delicious, quick mess o'greens! May we add an over-easy egg and call it dinner?
Love kale? Here are more great kale recipes:
- Oven Risotto with Kale Pesto and Roasted Mushrooms
- Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing
- Hash Brown Frittatas with Kale, Bacon and Cheddar
- Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole
- Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad
- Kale Quinoa Salad with Lemon Honey Dressing
Sauteed Kale with Andouille Sausage
- 2 tablespoons canola oil - or as needed
- 4 ounces (2 links) Andouille sausage - halved and sliced
- 2 large bunches kale - tough stems removed, coarsely chopped --OR-- 1 (16-ounce) bag kale
- 4 cloves garlic - chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce - or to taste
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the Andouille sausage and cook 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Working in batches, add the kale to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook until kale wilts. Repeat with remaining kale, adding oil as necessary. Add the garlic in batches along with each batch of kale, seasoning each cooked batch of kale with salt and black pepper.
- Return kale and sausage to skillet and heat through.
- Splash with vinegar and add Tabasco sauce. Serve immediately.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.
Oh yum! I love kale and been making kale lemon salad as my go-to option. Now I am adding this one, too!
Thanks, Linda! That lemony kale salad sounds amazing!
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
We make a ton of sausage these days, mostly because my two small boys will actually eat it! I also happen to ADORE kale, so this is pretty much a match made in heaven! Love that spice!
Thanks, Katherine! I'm Polish so no stranger to making sausage. Love that you make your own!
Yes please!! Thanks for sharing!
Why yes you may add an egg and just call it dinner. What a great idea!
Thank, Beth! Or even breakfast!
susan | the wimpy vegetarian says
This is so up my alley!!!! I love sautéed greens like kale, and your flavor combination is spot on! I could make a meal of this.
Thanks, Susan! Hope you enjoy!
I absolutely love your new version because I love just about anything with andouille in it! Fantastic spin on the classic!
Thank you, Jane! It's so easy and so delicious. Hope you enjoy!
Give me one of those bowls please! This sounds delicious! Thanks for joining me.
Laura @motherwouldknow says
I'm a recent convert to kale. Like many recent converts, I'm now a missionary for it. This version of cooked kale looks like one I could definitely get behind 🙂 And as my local gourmet market has wonderful andouille sausage, I'll have to do more than rave about it.
Thanks, Laura! I can't get enough of it and often have some form of it in the fridge!
Mmmmmm....adding andouille sausage imparts such a magnificent flavor! So delicious!!!
Thanks, Liz! It really does add great flavor.