Quinoa and Kale Salad with Red Grapes, Walnuts and Lemon Honey Dressing is a delicious way to enjoy these popular superfoods! It keeps for several days so it’s perfect for meal prep and lunches for a busy week.
Love it when your phone dings with a text message from a friend that says, “Love the kale salad!”
I had a fairly light schedule last week cooking for clients and I didn’t have a newspaper column deadline, so I decided I’d be a cooking fool at home!
Now, we have this problem…. The recipes that dance around in my head from the produce and ingredients that inspire me because I’m in the grocery store frequently far outweigh our ability to consume them.
Oh sure, some things make it into the freezer for later consumption, but quite often, we just give it away to anyone willing to take it.
Tips for making Quinoa and Kale Salad with Red Grapes, Walnuts and Lemon – Honey Dressing ahead of time:
- Be sure the grapes you buy are super-fresh.
- Kale is a sturdy green so you’re safe there.
- Lightly dress the salad with about ⅓ of the dressing. This will flavor the salad and keep it moist.
- Add the remainder to refresh the salad when you serve it. (This is what I do for my clients and it works well.)
- The amount of lemon juice may seem like a lot, but if the grapes you purchase are quite sweet, the salad will require acidity.
- If the grapes you purchase are not very sweet, adjust the amount of lemon juice to your taste.
More great kale and quinoa salads:
- Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing
- Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad
- Quinoa Tabbouleh with Grilled Vegetables
- Mediterranean Quinoa and Grilled Vegetable Salad
Quinoa and Kale Salad with Red Grapes, Walnuts and Honey – Lemon Dressing
- 1 bunch kale - stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked quinoa - (approximately)
- 1 bunch red grapes - approximately ½ pound, halved
- ½ small red onion - finely chopped (approximately ½ cup)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts - toasted if desired plus a few more to sprinkle over salad
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey - or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Combine kale, olive oil and salt and black pepper to taste in a large bowl. Gently massage the kale to soften and wilt it slightly.
- Add quinoa, grapes, onion and walnuts and toss to combine.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over salad and mix well.
- To serve: Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with additional coarsely chopped walnuts.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.