Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing is the perfect kale lover’s salad and may even convert a couple of kale cynics! Walnuts add crunch and goat cheese adds a lovely, creamy tanginess. Make it a meal with Zucchini Quiche with Feta Cheese and Brown Rice Crust!
Ahhh…. kale. People either love it or loathe it. I happen to love it! I love the deep, dark green flavor and the fact it’s so good for you. I also love that a kale salad keeps in the refrigerator–even when it has the dressing on it.
Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing is super easy to make with ingredients that pair together beautifully:
- Purchased cooked beets
- Goat cheese (Feta would also be great!)
How to make Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing:
- First, we need to massage some kale! Strip the stems from the kale and tear the kale into bite-sized pieces. Be sure to wash and dry it well, too!
- Place the kale in a bowl…
- Drizzle with some really good olive oil and give it a pinch of salt.
- Then, give it a good massage to soften it up. Raw kale is pretty tough so giving it a good rubdown is going to soften it up and make it a little easier to chew. You don’t want to overdo it, just give it a good massage for a couple of minutes or until it’s slightly wilted. Here’s more information about massaging kale from Bon Appetit magazine.
- Whisk together the Honey – Balsamic Dressing:
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- Top the massaged kale with the other ingredients…
- Drizzle on the dressing as needed…
- Give the salad a little toss…
- And voila!
And if you simply can’t do kale, spinach is the perfect substitute!
To make ahead:
Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing can be made ahead in a couple of different ways:
- Massage the kale then refrigerate without the other ingredients.
- Massage the kale, drizzle on some of the dressing and add the beets and blueberries then refrigerate.
- It’s a good idea to keep the cheese and walnuts off. The dressing will dissolve the cheese and will soften the walnuts.
More kale salads and recipes you’ll love:
- Massaged Kale Antipasto Salad
- Quinoa and Kale Salad with Red Grapes, Walnuts and Lemon – Honey Dressing
- Oven Risotto with Kale Pesto and Roasted Mushrooms
- Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole
- Hash Brown Frittatas with Kale, Bacon and Cheddar
Massaged Kale Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey - Balsamic Dressing
- 2 bunches kale - stems removed, washed and spun dry
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package (6.5-ounce) roasted baby beets (such as Love Beets) - quartered
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 container (4-ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts - toasted if desired
Honey - Balsamic Dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces and place in a large serving bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Massage the kale with your hands for 2-3 minutes or until the kale wilts and softens up.
- Top with beets, blueberries, walnuts and goat cheese.
Honey - Balsamic Dressing
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drizzle some or all of the dressing (you don't want it drenched) on the salad and gently toss. Serve immediately.
- Massage the kale then refrigerate up to one day without the other ingredients.
- Massage the kale, drizzle on some of the dressing and add the beets and blueberries then refrigerate up to one day.
- It's a good idea to keep the cheese and walnuts off. The dressing will dissolve the cheese and will soften the walnuts.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.