Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole is perfect meatless comfort food that’s also super versatile! Vary the grains and vary the greens!
Getting back in the swing of things after the holiday season?
My goal this week was to get all of my Christmas decorations down and put away. Because it’s always difficult for me to get into the Christmas spirit, I’m not sure which feels better: Getting all of them up so I can admire them or getting them all down and put away. Having Christmas over with feels pretty darn good even though my time with family was wonderful! I treasured every moment!
Here’s something that feels good anytime: Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole.
Or, perhaps I should call this one: Heading-Out-of-Town Casserole.
With everything there is to do before leaving for any length of time, using up what’s on hand forces my creativity and I find it a lot of fun.
I had brown rice leftover from my Spicy Asian Pork Cabbage Rolls and kale that was crying out to get used. Because we’re both cheeseheads from Wisconsin, we ALWAYS have a wide variety of cheese in our house.
You’re probably wondering about the tomatoes–especially this time of year. My mother-in-law recently visited and whenever she visits, bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches are a must-make. She L-O-V-E-S BLTs and so does my husband so we always have to do at least one round of BLTs.
We generally only buy grape or cherry tomatoes this time of year. However, the tomatoes I found weren’t bad and they made a great topping for this casserole. Other tomatoes that are okay in the off-season are Campari or Roma (plum) tomatoes.
Similar to my Grains and Greens Casserole, you can vary the grains and vary the greens. Quinoa or lentils will also work and spinach, Swiss chard or broccoli raab work well instead of kale.
That’s it! Easy, cheesy, pleasey hearty vegetarian comfort food that you can also make ahead of time and bake at a later time.
Looking for more great vegetarian casserole recipes? Try my:
- Italian Summer Vegetable Casserole
- Grains and Greens Casserole
- Brown Rice and Summer Vegetable Casserole with Feta and Black Olives
- Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole (Affiliate Links):
- 2 tablespoons canola oil plus more for oiling baking dish
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced to create 12 slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a large baking dish such as a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and kale. Continue cooking, stirring often until the kale is wilted. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the brown rice and Cheddar cheese. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in eggs and milk.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Top with sliced tomatoes.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until set.
Prep time does not include cooking the brown rice. To make 3 cups cooked brown rice, use the instructions for 4 servings on the package of uncooked brown rice.
Amount Per Serving Calories 384 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 163mg Sodium 363mg Carbohydrates 31g Fiber 3g Sugar 3g Protein 17g