Cheesy Brown Rice and Greens Casserole is a delicious, hearty, vegetarian casserole that’s also super flexible! Use any kind of grain such as quinoa, barley or lentils and any type of leafy green.
Cheesy Brown Rice and Greens Casserole is super-flexible. I used brown rice here, but you can use any grain you’d like such as barley, lentils or quinoa and any greens that you’d like. I used kale, bok choy and baby spinach here. Love me some greens no matter what they are!
You could also add leftover turkey or chicken, too!
Tips for cooking brown rice:
Here’s the easiest way I have found to cook brown rice (and I’ve cooked a ton of brown rice in my time):
- Get a saucepan of water boiling
- Add some salt then add the brown rice.
- Let it boil away uncovered!
- Check it after about 20 minutes and if it’s done the way you like it, then drain in a sieve. If not, let it keep boiling. Some brands can take longer to cook than others.
- Add water as necessary to keep it cooking in plenty of water.
Yes, that’s right–no measuring, no timing, no possible burning the rice on the bottom–just boil it like pasta and keep it moving.
- As with pasta, if brown rice is cooked in a small amount of water it gets gummy and sticky. Basically, it has cooked in its own starch. With this method, you will have beautiful, fluffy brown rice each and every time!
- Because the “pasta method” for brown rice is so easy and fool-proof, I always cook extra brown rice so I have it on hand for a casserole or a side dish–it freezes beautifully.
The texture of Cheesy Brown Rice and Greens Casserole is slightly different from most casseroles you may be used to. There’s no creamy “binder,” which in the South often involves a can of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream or mayonnaise. It’s just eggs and cheese for a delightfully chewy, crunchy texture.
A slightly spicy homemade tomato soup is perfect on the side!
More great vegetarian casseroles you’ll love!
- Black Bean and Yellow Squash Enchilada Casserole
- Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Quinoa Casserole
- Healthier Turkish Eggplant Casserole
- Southwestern Squash, Corn and Poblano Casserole
- Italian Summer Vegetable Casserole
- Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole
- Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Brown Rice and Summer Vegetable Casserole with Feta and Black Olives
Cheesy Brown Rice and Greens Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - plus more for pan
- ½ medium onion - finely chopped
- 8 heads baby bok choy - sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 bunch kale - stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 bag (10-ounce) baby spinach
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice - or barley, lentils or quinoa or a combination
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 3 large eggs - beaten
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or saute pan. Add onion and cook until softened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and kale in batches; cook each batch until wilted. Stir in garlic. Transfer to a large bowl. Add spinach to wilt slightly.
- Stir in cooked brown rice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in eggs and cheese.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until cheese and top is lightly browned.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.