Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole is Southern-inspired, creamy, cheesy and the perfect way to enjoy a summer vegetable bounty!
One thing Southerners do better–more than anyone else in the world–are casseroles and they do them with such love. When someone is in need, their food situation is one of the first things addressed. A great Southern casserole will most likely be heading that needy person’s way.
It seems I’ve had a lot of leftover grilled zucchini in my life lately. I had to redo a couple of sliced zucchini shots for my Cream Cheese and Artichoke Stuffed Tomatoes and Grilled Zucchini post and had plain sliced zucchini afterward so I grilled it for a purpose I had not yet determined.
I then did a Grilled Zucchini and Spinach Lasagna for a client a few days later and ended up with more. Grilled zucchini is great on pizza or pasta, but some Southern comfort food won out!
How to make Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole
- You don’t need to grill zucchini first for this casserole–just if you want to.
- Alternately, you can slice the zucchini then saute or roast until crisp-tender. Zucchini needs to be cooked a bit before placing in the casserole as cooking brings out the delicate flavor.
- I don’t recommend boiling it. Boiled zucchini to me is just….wrong. Feel free to use yellow squash or a combination.
- I used frozen corn but use fresh if possible. The corn is starting to look amazing at the local markets. Some grilled corn is definitely on our menu this Fourth of July!
- In addition to all this creamy, cheesy veggie goodness is fresh jalapeño for a little heat. Leave it out or use mild canned diced green chiles or sweet bell pepper if you don’t like spicy food.
- Two things a proper creamy Southern casserole needs that you don’t want to skimp on are mayonnaise and a butter cracker topping (such as Ritz or Townhouse crackers).
- And cheese. Must have cheese!
Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole is rich and wonderful! After all, it’s Southern! Now let’s eat!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole (Affiliate Links):
- Butter, oil or cooking spray for baking dish
- 3 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, thinly sliced lengthwise (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only, chopped (or 1 small onion, finely chopped)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (seeded if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12-15 butter crackers (such as Ritz or Townhouse), crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter, oil or spray a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Grill the zucchini on a stovetop or outdoor grill until crisp-tender. (Alternately, saute or roast.)
- Heat butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and jalapeno and cook 3-4 minutes just to soften. Add the garlic and cook 10-15 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese to the hot vegetables and stir until it's creamy.
- Stir in mayonnaise, milk or half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper and blend until creamy.
- Place a layer of zucchini (1/3) at the bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the corn over the zucchini, spread 1/3 of the egg mixture over the zucchini and corn, then 1/3 cheese. Repeat two more times.
- Sprinkle crushed butter crackers over the top. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes or until bubbling and crackers are lightly browned. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Can be assembled 1 day ahead. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking or increase baking time 5-10 minutes if placing cold from the refrigerator into the oven.
Amount Per Serving Calories 424 Total Fat 34g Saturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 18g Cholesterol 128mg Sodium 693mg Carbohydrates 18g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Protein 14g