Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Quinoa Casserole is a delicious way to use a summer bounty of zucchini and yellow squash either as a side dish or hearty meatless meal! With a delightfully creamy texture, the goodness and protein of quinoa, the crunchy topping, it’s worth turning your oven on for!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
As it is with any season, when summer rolls around, I can’t wait to make all the tried and true recipes from prior summers. My Very Veggie Gazpacho is one of the first I reach for and my Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Salad is a close second.
However, if you’re anything like me, you’re always on the hunt for new zucchini and yellow squash recipes!
Every summer, we head up to Wisconsin over the July 4th holiday and this year was no exception. In a way, it’s a really bad time to leave for a vacation because our garden starts to explode just before we leave.
I needed to find a way to use all the beautiful zucchini and yellow squash you see here and this Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Quinoa Casserole was born!
How to make Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Quinoa Casserole:
- Start with approximately three pounds of zucchini and yellow squash. Use even amounts of each or more of one and less of the other. Either way, it works!
- Slice the squash approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Saute the zucchini and yellow squash with onion until it has softened. Never boil zucchini and yellow squash as some recipes call for! The delicate flavor of these two vegetables will go right down the drain!
- Combine the squash with cooked quinoa, green chiles, cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and a couple of eggs.
- Top with a combination of breadcrumbs, cheese and butter!
- Then bake!
With a delightfully creamy texture, the goodness and protein of quinoa, the crunchy topping, Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Quinoa Casserole is worth turning your oven on for!
More vegetarian casseroles you might like:
- Black Bean and Yellow Squash Enchilada Casserole
- Yellow Squash and Tomato Gratin with Two Cheeses
- Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake
- Southwestern Squash, Corn and Poblano Casserole
- Italian Summer Vegetable Casserole
- Brown Rice Cheddar Kale Casserole
- Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Cheesy Brown Rice and Greens Casserole
- Southwestern Summer Squash Casserole
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- Nonstick cooking spray or oil for baking dish
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (4-ounce) diced green chiles, hot or mild, drained
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray or rub lightly with oil. Set aside.
- Heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 5-6 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash. Continue cooking over medium heat for another 5-6 minutes or until zucchini and yellow squash begin to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 15 seconds or until fragrant. Let cool.
- Transfer cooled vegetables to a large bowl. Add green chiles, quinoa and Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise and eggs in a small bowl. Add to vegetable, quinoa and cheese mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Combine remaining butter, panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan or Asiago cheese in a small bowl.
- Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and set.
MAKE AHEAD: Casserole may be made ahead up to the point of adding the breadcrumb and cheese combination. Add breadcrumb and cheese combination when ready to bake.
Amount Per Serving Calories 523Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 100mgSodium 583mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 16g