Grilled Citrus Chili Shrimp with Mango Pineapple Salsa is a quick and simple summer appetizer for four or just the right amount for a lovely dinner for two.
It’s hot. How hot is it?
It’s so hot, I didn’t want to go outside to grill these shrimp! Here’s an easy recipe that’s perfect when the weather heats up!
When I want to grill something quickly, I do it on a grill pan or on the grill insert for our gas cooktop. And frankly, unless we’re grilling something else, we probably wouldn’t heat up our outdoor grill for a pound of shrimp.
You already know I’m all about using wild American shrimp. None of that farmed stuff for me! I used “colossal” 12 to 15 count [per pound] Key West shrimp. Because they’re so large, they’re easy to peel and devein.
Tips for marinating seafood:
This is one of my favorite marinades for shrimp: Orange juice, lime juice, chili powder, a touch of honey and a touch of heat.
- Never marinate shrimp or other seafood very long.
- If the marinade is acidic, the acid will “cook” the shrimp and you wind up with ceviche.
- For average-sized shrimp (say…. 20-30 count), keep the marination time to approximately half an hour.
- For large shrimp such as the ones I’ve used here, keep marination time to an hour.
- Always marinate proteins in something “non-reactive” such as glass, ceramic, porcelain or even a plastic zipper-top bag. Acids can “react” with untreated metal and your food may pick up a metallic taste. Not good.
A mango and pineapple salsa with jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, lime and a touch of honey pairs perfectly with the shrimp.
Super quick! Super delicious!
More great, easy shrimp recipes!
- The Best Shrimp Creole
- Shrimp in Avocado Butter
- Shrimp Scampi with Artichokes
- Shrimp Cocktail Louis
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Spicy Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 large lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound colossal shrimp (12-15 count per pound), peeled and deveined, tail intact
- 1 large mango, pitted and diced
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- SHRIMP: Combine marinade ingredients and shrimp in a non-reactive dish or a zipper-top bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill. Grill shrimp 2-3 minutes per side or until firm and translucent, being careful not to overcook.
- SALSA: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with shrimp.
Serving Size:Appetizer Portion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 242mgSodium: 1946mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 29g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.