Grilled Citrus Chili Shrimp with Mango Pineapple Salsa is a quick and simple summer appetizer for four or just the right amount for a lovely dinner for two.
It’s hot. How hot is it?
It’s so hot, the devil went back to hell just to cool off. It’s so hot, I’m sweating like a politician on election day. Or how about… it’s so hot, I saw a coyote chasing a jackrabbit and they were both walking. Okay…. Groan.
It’s so hot, I didn’t want to go outside to grill these shrimp!
Actually, I’m not much into using our big outdoor grill. I leave all that to my husband. He loves it and he’s great at it as shown in this brat-grilling extravaganza….
Um…. all that fire makes me a little nervous.
In almost 21 years of marriage, I’ve learned it’s never a bad thing to let your hubby have his “thing.” When I want to grill something, I do it on my Calphalon grill pan or on the grill insert for our gas cooktop. And frankly, unless we’re grilling something else, we probably wouldn’t heat up our outdoor grill for a pound of shrimp.
You already know I’m all about using wild American shrimp. None of that farmed stuff for me! I used “colossal” 12 to 15 count [per pound] Key West shrimp. Gorgeous! And because they’re so large, they’re easy to peel and devein.
This is one of my favorite marinades for shrimp: Orange juice, lime juice, chili powder, a touch of honey and a touch of heat.
Tips for marinated seafood:
- Never marinate shrimp or other seafood very long.
- If the marinade is acidic, the acid will “cook” the shrimp and you wind up with ceviche.
- For average-sized shrimp (say…. 20-30 count), keep the marination time to approximately half an hour.
- For large shrimp such as the ones I’ve used here, keep marination time to an hour.
- Always marinate proteins in something “non-reactive” such as glass, ceramic, porcelain or even a plastic zipper-top bag. Acids can “react” with untreated metal and your food may pick up a metallic taste. Not good.
A mango and pineapple salsa with jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, lime and a touch of honey pairs perfectly with the shrimp.
Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise
Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise are perfect for a party! They're easy to make and can be made ahead and reheated. They also freeze well so you can make them really far in advance!
Shrimp in Avocado Butter
Limey, buttery and easy, Shrimp in Avocado Butter makes a luxurious appetizer, tapas or delicious dinner!
Creamy Shrimp Salsa Dip
Creamy Shrimp Salsa Dip is super easy, super tasty and will be the hit of your party! It has a touch of elegance and totally elevates chips and salsa to a whole new level!
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, otherwise known as Cóctel de Camarónes, doesn't resemble an American shrimp cocktail at all. This version is almost like a "salad in a glass!" It's chock full of crunchy vegetables and shrimp in a spicy, tangy tomato sauce.
Helpful tools and equipment to make Grilled Citrus Chili Shrimp with Mango Pineapple Salsa (Affiliate Links):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 large lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound colossal shrimp (12-15 count per pound), peeled and deveined, tail intact
- 1 large mango, pitted and diced
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- SHRIMP: Combine marinade ingredients and shrimp in a non-reactive dish or a zipper-top bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill. Grill shrimp 2-3 minutes per side or until firm and translucent, being careful not to overcook.
- SALSA: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with shrimp.
Serving SizeAppetizer Portion
Amount Per Serving Calories 409 Total Fat 17g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 242mg Sodium 1946mg Carbohydrates 40g Fiber 4g Sugar 29g Protein 29g